Jumperpaula

Jumping with the Deaf

I was on a 4 way Sunday with two guys who could not hear. They were sooo cool.
I wasn't organzing, but we did diamonds and donuts and turned about 14 points. It was fun dirt diving with them, facing out - you had to shake them to talk about the points. But once they could see your face, they knew exactly what to do. Freefall...well, who needs to hear in freefall? I love the way we communicate in this sport. Sorry I couldn't catch the names, but YOU GUYS ROCKED!
Fly Your Slot !

Good for you. There is an equivalant of a deaf club out here in Perris. They are a great bunch of guys and always smiling and eager to jump. I haven't had the pleasure yet but I'm going to make a point of finding them and joining them in the air. I believe they call it "silent freefall".
SKYDIVING GAVE ME A REASON TO LIVE....

I jump with a deaf kid sometimes, and figured it would help me coach him in his headdown, if I could talk to him in freefall...it might work. Signing in freefall, I can do...chasing him, I can do...signing while I'm chasing him...not goin' so good. :-)
I would like to make a suggestion. If anyone does see deaf people out at the drop zone, approach them. If they are on the same plane with you doing a solo and you are doing a solo as well, jump with them (or at least offer). A lot of times, people who are starting out are too shy to ask people to jump with them...I wouldn't imagine adding deafness to the equation makes it much easier.
Steve

>What's funny is that they're probably the only people who can talk in freefall.
I've had a few AFF partners who could talk to me in freefall. It wasn't any kind of "standard" sign language, but we had a lot of unconventional signals for things like:
Is this guy gonna pull?
What's going on over there?
Spin him that way.
Don't let him pivot on you on the forward motion.
Is there beer on the LZ?
I think we developed this after a few hundred AFF's because you have so much time with a level I. Once the student's done his practice touches, has been trimmed up, and is checking his altimeter regularly, there's not much to do beyond watch him and watch your partner. You have 30 seconds to basically hang on before pull time.
-bill von