DaleThornton

Floating

Hi
I seem to have a problem when jumping information with other skydivers in that I tend to float quit alot which means I spend alot of effort concentrating on height compensation instead of getting the real stuff done. I weigh about 95kg/ 210lb / 15 stone. so I dont think my weight is a problem, I do however have broad shoulders therefore increasing the surface area. Does anyone have any tips so that I can improve my flying skills and be more relative to other skydivers.
Cheers
Dale
- “Come to the edge.”
“We can't. We're afraid.”
“Come to the edge.”
“We can't. We will fall!”
“Come to the edge.”
And they came.
And he pushed them.
And they flew. -

then just arch! lol
seriously, at your heigh and weight, with a normal suit, you should have tremendous range, maybe a tigh-ish suit would help (spandex forearms, no wing), but with body position alone, you should be OK.... I'm 6'2 and 230lbs, and I need a big ass flappy suit....
Remi
Muff 914

Are you flexable? Alot of the big guys at my DZ are not flexable at all and I end up flying dearched to stay up with them. I'm 5'1, 105 lbs, and don't wear lead, but I'm very flexable so I have no problem doing anything from like 95 to 120+, anything faster and I strap lead on just to make it easier on my body.
Also do you stretch at the start of the day, not just your legs and arms, but your hip and lower stomach muscles? Lay on the floor on your stomach, and do a kind of a push-up where you keep your hips on the ground, this stretches a lot of muscles. To avoid cramps in your back after you are done roll over on your back and curl your legs to your chest to re stretch out your back.
Kelli

Dale, if pushing your hips at the earth like you're going to drill thru it with yer pelvis doesn't help, try bringing your arms and legs in a bit; maybe you're too spread out body position-wise - what's your experience level?
Brokeneagle.
I'm really very gentle, no matter what my kung-fu teacher says...

Could it be that you are just trying too hard? Spending too much of the skydive focusing on fall rate instead of relaxing and enjoying the skydive? I've jumped with a lot of bigger guys who had it so drilled into their heads NOT to go low that they end up floaty instead.
Just a thought.....

you can try exhaling to, in case your holding air in, you might be surprised how much difference it can make, if your holding air in your chest expands and if you have broad shoulders you probably have a large upper body. i had a coach show me this a couple of years ago.
A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five.
--Groucho Marx

new suit in Feb with booties etc

Booties aren't gonna help with a floating problem unfortunately; booties will slow you down even more.
Your height and shoulder width likely have a lot to do with it - you just have a lot of surface area presented to the relative wind. Like others said, I'd suggest a suit with no extra fabric in the armpit area and spandex forearms and working on your arch. Have you gotten video lately? Might be worth it just to see what your body position really is.
Best arching tips I've heard are a) pretend the relative wind is a fence with a hole in it and "do" the hole (yeah, sick, but it works) and b) pretend you're holding a pencil between your shoulder blades, then put the pencil on your ass. Either way, emphasize pelvis down.
If all else fails, try weights, but at your height and weight you should actually have lots of range in a standard suit. Maybe you're just jumping with a bunch of bowling balls? ;)
pull and flare,
lisa
--
life's a bitch.. and so am I

1. Arch more (obvious, I know, but I had to say it)
2. Don't reach for grips when doing RW. It makes you pop up. Fly with your arms a little tighter and fly your body to the grips before you pick them up.
3. Use the right suit - nylon faced, tight arm if possible. Make sure it fits well, and isn't poofing up under your arms or between your legs. To see if it is your suit, make a jump with shorts and t-shirt. If you fall faster with no suit, you definitely need a faster suit.
4. Check your rig. It should not extend far to either side of you.
5. If all else fails, try weights or streamlining. A few pounds around your waist works ok for men. A half a Nerf football under the chest of your jumpsuit can also increase your fall rate by streamlining you a bit more, and is lighter and cheaper.
-bill von

Dale,
The most helpful bit of advice for me was from the new member of Airspeed, Eliana. She suggested rotating my elbows so that they are not sticking straight out from my body but are more in front of me in what they call a "mantis" position. The removal of the extra "wings" gave me a ton more range.
God bless us and God Bless America
Albatross

The removal of the extra "wings" gave me a ton more range.

I was just looking for suggestions and encouragement. This thread is excellent timing for me.
I loaned my weightvest out - and don't have it to jump this weekend. I was anxious about flying without weights and even considering not doing RW this weekend because I will be floaty! (Floaty Bitch, by exact terms on the DZ) :(. But with some of the suggestions here, think I'll just decide it's time to try new things and find ways to fall faster without weights.
-I am a little worried about establishing some altered muscle memory that I have to UNDO later. One weekend without a weightvest won't kill me ;) ...right?
Luv Blue Skies,
Paula
Fly Your Slot !