mwthomsen

Drill Dives?

I wish it was vertical....we do 180's the key is eye contact dont't look to the leg for the grip look back the leg should be right there in your peripharel vision fly for a sec then take the grips. The reason why I like this drill is it stresses eye contact and flying your slot(both of which I have a hard time with at this point) I've seen some of the good jumpers do this and then they switch whose head is going over top because they fly their slots so well and are so close.
Eye contact is half the battle to beggining jumpers your taught to look where you wanna turn because you tend to go where your looking. In RW you have to keep your eye on the "target" no matter which way your turning.....ie head switching on turns more then 180 of course I can barely turn a point so take everything I say with a grain of salt
JG

"Hog flop" - Dock faced off. Break. Both jumpers do a back loop. Redock. Repeat. Excellent for working on up and down motion and closing.
Fly around each other - start faced off. Break. One jumper stays in position, the other sidebodies on one side, then docks on legs ("cat" grips), then sidebodies the other side, then back to faced off. Switch. Good for working on sliding and docking in different places when you're the one flying around, good for working on falling straight down when you're the dockee.
If you're working with open or closed accordions, put a spin into the bottom end. In either case, both jumpers put their free arm back into a track position, straightens legs and points toes. Usually breaks apart before the grippers start tearing off your jumpsuits. ;)
Base/pin practice - Jumper 1 does a poised exit and takes a line of flight heading. Jumper 2 waits one second in the door after jumper 1 exits, then dives down and docks. Jumper 1 works on falling straight down, jumper 2 works on diving, approaching and docking.
pull and flare,
lisa

One of my accordian drills is to launch a compress, then make all turns to your right for an entire dive (then left on another). Do the drill first on the same level, then vertically if you so choose. I like this drill as a warmup as it gets me doing inside turns (from RH to LH), then you go blindside and must really watch your separation. That is fantastic for working on proximity.
chuck
My webpage HERE

One of my faves is just your basic 360's. Either launch the two-way or fly it from the exit, then dock facing each other.
if you're less experienced, have one person fall straight while the other does a 360, then dock, then the other does a 360.
More experienced, then you can both do a 360 at the same time, then re-dock.
I like to do this one with people I've never jumped with before...helps you judge fall rate problems, and also helps you work on staying in proximity while turning. Also, it will help you know what to correct for in those eventual points where you'll have to back into the formation.
Another variation is the backflips mentioned above.

one I like to do that is good for outfacing move practice and translational 360s is just alternating stairsteps (example- Jumper A has left hand grip on Jumper B's Right leg grips) . start faced off or launch a stairstep, doesn't matter. Outfacing person 360s towards the middle and back out, so that the stairstep is mirrored. Turn back to center and switch roles. Good to practice looking towards the center from outfacing persective.
Stacy
http://users.snip.net/~stacy

I've just started doing compressed accordions rt then lft making sure to maintain eye contact especially during the turns and then flying the slot for a second before taking grips.

Once you feel comfortable with these, throw in a 2-way star between compressed accordions. So the sequence is star, right-hand compressed acc, left 270 degree turn to star, left-hand compressed accordion, right 270 degree turn to star. Headswitches, keys, and the potential to go low; this dive has it all. Enjoy.
flyhiB|

Some simple ones:
1.) One person lays base and the other flies around them, docking sidebody, cat, sidebody, star. Then the two jumpers switch roles.
2.) One person lays base and the other one flies to his grips, rotating 90 degrees each time. This means a sidebody (with the aggressor sidesliding) a cat (with the aggressor doing a backin) another sidebody and a star.
3.) Oddly, the toughest one. Pick a two-way (say, sidebody) and fly it for 50 seconds with no grips, keeping your hands an inch away from the grips. Much tougher than it sounds, and it teaches you a lot about flying relative.
-bill von

3.) Oddly, the toughest one. Pick a two-way (say, sidebody) and fly it for 50 seconds with no grips, keeping your hands an inch away from the grips. Much tougher than it sounds, and it teaches you a lot about flying relative.

Those are the hardest damn things...flying relative but NOT in grips. That's what Scotty was trying to do with us at the DZ.com thing in Houston. If I ever get that then I'll really feel like I'm making steps in the right direction!
Closing pin jewelry

"Im gonna do some solo's with a new canopy soon. What can I work on doing a solo and pulling high that will improve my RW skills? (Excluding freeflying) Style Series perhaps?
Any suggestions for Solo Drill Dives? "
Kinda difficult to do 'relative' solo drill dives, I know some fun and educational stuff we can do. Then dump high cos I need to play with my canopy too. I'll look out for you at Spaceland this w/e. Hop n Pops always seem like a waste of a pack job to me....
Dave

And throw some "pat-a-cake" in there too. When you try to clap your hands in front, you will also have to compensate with your legs, when you try to clap one hand down while the other goes up, you will have to fight not to do a barrell roll. Every hand movement will have to be equally compensated for with another part of your body, therefore giving you awareness of your entire body in flight. It is much harder than it sounds and gives alot of laughs the first few times. :)Tee