Jumperpaula

Teach me to do Verticals

Im gonna go try this on a two way drill dive..hopping over in compressed accordians. The best description I can get on the ground is "dearch a little, lead with your torso and let your legs follow, use your hand on the rig if you need to.."
I know in skydiving, sometimes it's hard to explain HOW........we just do it-, but does anyone have another description or something to add?
Fly Your Slot !

Some other bits of advice -
Begin the manuever with you rising with relation to the "base." That way, their burble will cause you to stop rising and start dropping, hopefully right when you hit the air on the other side.
It's generally easier to transition at a 90 degree angle to the person beneath, since most of you is still in the air. It's also easier if you end the move facing in.
Start far, high and slow, and work closer. This gives you a good feel for what the burble feels like at 4 feet, 3 feet, 2 feet etc. The closer you are the more speed you need in the transition.
These manuevers can, of course, result in unintentional contact (that's a euphemism for "slamming into the other guy") so good pin covers and full-face helmets are a good idea.
-bill von

It's generally easier to transition at a 90 degree angle to the person beneath, since most of you is still in the air. It's also easier if you end the move facing in.

Excellent. You have a good drill dive in mind that I can use - like from a side body to a 2-way, but up and over?
Fly Your Slot !

OK, in addition to what Bill said... (he doesnt' remember I'm sure, abut a few years ago we made a jump and he got to practice verticals with me as a base, since I had no clue what I was doing....).... make sure you stay flat going over. if you pitch your body, you will be in a dive when you get to teh other side and will end up low. here's a couple of drills we use in the tunnel:
side body to half star (i.e you side body someone, go over their back and pick up ther arm gripper and present your other arm to an imaginary friend.), side slide to the side body and go back to teh other side. repeat until time to go.
stairstep to half star -- instead of side body, have a stairstep grip (both people facing forward, you have a leg grip), go over the back and forward to the same half star as previous.
star to cat. face off in a star, go vertical and land withcat grips (where ever you can get them). the person laying base snaps a 180, and you do it again.
the person laying base must work with you, you give a tug on the grippers to help get you moving, the bae person will side slide/move forward/move back depending on which drill you're doing.
if you are confused let me know and I'll try to explain a little more.

small, people get all worked up over verticals, the moves really aren't that big. The air will feel bumpy, and that freaks people out into making these huge moves, and then they wonder why they're so far away (or why they just smacked the tunnel wall really hard :)

I was on a 6 way friday with a guy doing a veritcal OVER ME. We dirt dived that the three way base would sink out a little going to this point. It went very well and...funny...I didn't feel a thing. - Soon, Im sure, it will be my turn to go over. - but not on a 6 way. Thanks for all the advice and tips. Can't wait to try it in the air.
Fly Your Slot !

Not a big deal at all. The stuff I do in our tunnel is mostly vertical transition drills. I personally think that is the best place to work on them, but for most of you that is a very expensive proposition. Talk about wearing your back out; that certainly puts the caddy-wompus on you! Anyway, in "real" freefall, there are tons of simple drills, many of which weid covered.
Anyway, I do a fairly violent "de-arch and kick over, arch, de-arch and take grips" move when I am going over. Going under is the opposite, obviously. The intent is to end up in the airspace you want to be in without carrying any excess speed (horizontal AND vertical) which would rock the formation hard when you take grips.
We get away with murder in our tunnel; it's twice as big as any of the civilian ones, so we are not resticted as to which drills we can do. It's much nicer being able to do actual sequential 4-way (with plenty of room and clean air) than just smaller stuff. I used to be quite the tunnel whore.
My webpage HERE