rjklein4470

first crossbraced canopy

I am looking to get my first crossbraced canopy and was looking for a little input.

I was looking at a velo 120 for a start. I would be loading in up right at 2.0. My exit weight is 240, I am 6-7 so back off the fat jokes, haha.

At first I was looking for a canopy that has the best openings, but that was a fail, the more I read on here the more I realized it was too subjective.

I take my time packing, so it seems getting a crossbraced canopy to open well, will just take jumps and time to get to know her.

So is the Velo at 2.0 a good place to start or should I consider the JVX? I was thinking PD just because the service is so good.

What canopy were you jumping before?

If you want good openings definitely consider an XF-15, otherwise try a Velo, JVX etc and see what you like. They have pretty different flight characteristics. Wouldnt recommend a schuemann planform canopy as your first crossbraced though.

Well, JFX has been praised for its good openings and tame (for being a crossbraced canopy) but fun flight characteristics. I haven't flown one, so I can't talk out of experience, but it looks to me like a very good first crossbraced canopy. It is less aggressive than a Velo or a JVX. It will probably dive a bit less than a katana, but it will carry you further. It all depends on how aggressive you want to be with your canopy progression.

Demo them first... I went from a katana 120 and demoed a velo 120 and it felt and flew huge.... like 150 huge... or so it felt... Took it back after 2 jumps and demoed the 111 and it still felt a little big... then tried and bought a 103 which felt like the right step... I felt way safer on the velo than the katana. you'll have more power and feel more in control of a stiffer wing over you...

So demo them and see... this kind of falls outside the "dont downsize and switch planforms" thing....
I was that kid jumping out if his tree house with a bed sheet. My dad wouldn't let me use the ladder to try the roof...

I agree with checking out a JFX or like someone said a Velo 111. The Velo's recovery arc is considerably longer than a JFX's in my experience. So that's something to consider. Someone might like a JFX a lot at first then wish they had a longer RA... you see where I'm going with that.

I absolutely agree with the don't downsize and switch planforms thing when you're not flying at a pretty fast level already but assuming someone is ready to switch to a 100-ish crossbraced and they're gonna be conservative there's probably a little more wiggle room.

What I know for sure is after going crossbraced I don't want to go back to a conventional canopy for regular use (barring wingsuiting, maybe BASE, etc)

...Don't Get Elimated!!

I'd definately recommend a JFX. Went from a Katana 107 to a JFX 94 and love it. Openings are incredible, much better than they are on the Katana.
Overall the JFX flies quite differently to a Katana but once you get used to it you won't want to go back. The katana is a very divey canopy, from the second it starts to open it feels like it just wants to turn and dive fast. I found the Katana was a very easy canopy to fly and learn to swoop on.

The JFX feels a bit more reserved. When it first opens it feels like its on pause. But once you pop the breaks you'll find it far more responsive. Also the turns start a bit slower than a katana but hold it for a moment and suddenly they build up speed quickly. The JFX feels it has more range, you can make it dive or fly it casual depending one what you feel like on the jump.

If you have options to try hands-on, do it!!!

I've done it and decided on my first crossbraced a JVX-119 (WL 1,85). I've tried Velo and JFX, out of the three, my personal preference was the JVX for serveral reasons:
- It responded better on harness and especialy rears.
- Opening not as good as JFX, but better than Velocity
- A coach of mine stated since it has no stabilizers, it would be a better canopy to prepare me for a Valkyrie or Leia eventualy
- It packs bigger that a 7-cell Crossbraced (so i didn't need to change my harness), my 119 packed the volume of a 170 ZP 7-cell

But that was me. Every pilot will have his own personal experiance/preference. So, if you can, try them. All of the are great conpies =D

If you aren't rushing so much and have the time to wait a few extra months, you may even want to consider Fluidwings half x-braced canopy that they made a video about a few days ago.
For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

Going from the KA 120 to a VE 120 the Velocity will feel sluggish. same size for same size, the Katana will seem like a much sportier canopy. The KA will turn faster, dive harder, and accelerate quicker. Where the Velocity will excel is the slow flight characteristics, which is why the Velocity is better as you get into smaller sizes/higher wingloadings. For example, you may find a Katana 107 seems to loose bottom end flight/lift sooner than the Velocity 103, simply because the slow flight characteristics are better on the Velo. So if your going to make the switch, most people choose to downsize, unless your looking solely for the better slowfilght and don't want to go faster.
The Velo is a great first crossbraced if your ready to take that step. With the release of the Valkyrie, their are loads of used ones out there if you want to do gradual step downs in size. If your looking to pick out something to last you a bit longer and are planning on going new, I would recommend going for the Comp Velo. It is very similar to the regular Velo, but it opens better, has better rear riser performance, and better slow flight. Standard they both have regular sliders and 500 or 700 weight line.
You can def try a few things out when your here in Deland and we can discuss further in person. Give us a call a little before you get here and we can get a few canopies ready for you to play with.

Albert Berchtold
Performance Designs

wrong. when you transfer from VE to VK, or from VK to PE, it is reasonable to do not downsize - because your WL is ALREADY 2.4 and higher and you ALREADY expereinced enough to do not ask this questions at dz.com :)

but when you transfer from KA to VE it is not very smart to keep same canopy size.
as for me, I transfered form SkylarkOdyssey wl1.85 to VE103 wl2.0. I found VE fucking fast and sharp and...... but only for ~20 first jumps. VE became boring and I had to add weightbelt to make wl2.15-2.2

berchtoldaj

Going from the KA 120 to a VE 120 the Velocity will feel sluggish. same size for same size, the Katana will seem like a much sportier canopy. The KA will turn faster, dive harder, and accelerate quicker. Where the Velocity will excel is the slow flight characteristics, which is why the Velocity is better as you get into smaller sizes/higher wingloadings. For example, you may find a Katana 107 seems to loose bottom end flight/lift sooner than the Velocity 103, simply because the slow flight characteristics are better on the Velo. So if your going to make the switch, most people choose to downsize, unless your looking solely for the better slowfilght and don't want to go faster.
The Velo is a great first crossbraced if your ready to take that step. With the release of the Valkyrie, their are loads of used ones out there if you want to do gradual step downs in size. If your looking to pick out something to last you a bit longer and are planning on going new, I would recommend going for the Comp Velo. It is very similar to the regular Velo, but it opens better, has better rear riser performance, and better slow flight. Standard they both have regular sliders and 500 or 700 weight line.
You can def try a few things out when your here in Deland and we can discuss further in person. Give us a call a little before you get here and we can get a few canopies ready for you to play with.

Albert Berchtold
Performance Designs

Albert,

Thank you for the great advice. And yes once I figure out when I am coming down to Florida I will call.

Thank you,

Rob

topspark101

The information you have given , in my respect, doesn't equate to the information, PD you tell you when downsizing/changing canopy...... is it the same stand point if you wish to transfer from a VK to PE...?.... if I am wrong... I apologise..?

The info above is in relation to a Katana and Velocity. I would not give the same advice to someone going from a Valkyrie to a Peregrine(PI). Completely different canopies.
There are different considerations to be made in selecting a Peregrine size. We work directly with those who are ready for a Peregrine to assist them in selecting the right size/sizes for their competition goals and their personal flying style.

Hope this info helps.

Albert
Watch out for planters.