Shawtown939

Transition from double fronts to 90s

I'm looking for the proper sequence of events for a 90 front approach to start collecting my alti loss and recovery. For example, now, I start in deep brakes until 220ft (stiletto loaded at 1.3) release to surge and pull down, hold for 3 second count, transition to rears, and finish. What it the proper start to a 90?

Never took a Flight-1 course, but I have taken an Alter Ego course with Curt and Jeannie Bartholomew, and I can't emphasize enough how well it was run or how much more personalized his course was to any other course which follows stringent guidelines. We could all throw our our own pieces of advice out, but none of us have seen you fly, so obviously your own coaches, instructors, or a structured course (again can't emphasize how great the Alter Ego course is) are the better sources of skill building. One piece of advice, get off that Stiletto. It's great for some things, but swooping is DEFINITELY not one of them. Granted it is what I started learning on...

Shawtown939

What it the proper start to a 90?

IMHO, nobody should answer this question here. It depends on so many variables, that any simple answer will be useless. At best it would be too high. At worse too low. Average: Too high for some, to low for others, and fine for the few remaining.

kawisixer01

***1. Logout.
2. Contact a qualified canopy coach.

I believe you forgot:
3. get rid of stiletto that recovers waaaaaay too fast and forces you to ride fronts too low. lol

I will second the get rid of the stiletto. Stiletto is a fine wing, but not for what you are looking for. Get a sabre / safire type wing at 1.3 to start progressing. You are going to develop a very bad sight picture and tendencies on the stilleto for the next canopy.
Losers make excuses, Winners make it happen
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.

While I still learn as well here are a few things that helped me:
Right Equipment:
Sabre 2 (the newer the better)
Flysight (and make sure you study the length of recovery arch based on winds and maneuver)
Camera (to pair with flysight data)
Log-Book write down every detail in order to work with the above
Digital Altimeter

Right approach:
Do Hop'N'Pops and pull out the door or high pulls
practice everything up high (90's, different directions, time holding fronts, etc...)
Say out loud what you are doing as you might not be able to see it on the video
Be SUPER conservative when you try new things on landing (aka close to the ground)
Get a coach, or qualified jumper watch you from time to time, take feedback and be thankful for it

Most importantly, always have a plan B, be ready to bail. better to bail if you don't need to, rather than needed to bail and did not to.

Shawtown939

It's going to be a while before I can do flight-1 again. Finished 201 earlier this year. 202 is next. Just looking for a head start.

The head start is actually getting in touch and working with a coach. They'll push you faster than you think possible. At least, that's my experience after having worked a few times with Jeannie and Curt (Alter Ego), and trying to work as regularly as possible with Greg Windmiller. I consider Greg my mentor and there is no way I would have been here without all their help, in fact when I was trying to get a "head start" I almost killed myself a few times and I was known on the DZ as "that guy". Realistically, you might be very talented but, if like me, you're not, then by trying to get a head start, you will likely learn bad habits that, best case scenario, will be hard and time consuming to kick out, worst case scenario, will fuck you up something proper.
Now, well, now I'm better and everyone, from the young ling trying to figure out why their katanas open funky to the "old guys" wondering about wind conditions, ask for my opinion when it comes to "canopy stuff", so I guess I'm doing something right. :$
When I say that Greg probably "saved my life", I mean it literally at this point, and I'll never get tired of stressing this point.

Really, get in touch with a coach, it's your best, safest and fastest bet.

One thing I will say though, related to your technique: be VERY careful with going into a full flare/surge at 220 feet. That's low, if you have even the slightest instability in the canopy at that stage due to turbulence or whatever, you might find yourself up shit creek really fast.
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.