skydave238

Lifespan of linesets on S-planform type canopies

Hi guys,

Im trying to get a feel from others about the lifespan of the lineset on the new valkyrie/leia/helix type of canopies.

This is specifically aimed at guys using their canopies as "work" canopies. (Camera guys!) What lines do the different manufacturers offer and how many jumps do you typically get out of a lineset before you need to replace the lines?

I jump a valkyrie67 loaded just over 2.2. Ive had both the original orange vectran and the new hma lines on my canopy.
I would say the most i could have got out the OV500 is 450 jumps. I had two line sets of OV500 and did about 950 jumps between them.
Im about 300 jumps in on the HMA500 and im probably gonna change the lines out in the next 100 jumps. Its so difficult to tell how worn HMA is that I would rather change them out earlier.

I jump in the Namib desert right next to the ocean. So my lines probably wear out slightly faster than someone landing on grass.

Im mainly asking because im looking to get another s-type canopy to replace my old velo. As much as I love my valkyrie, i might also like to jump something different, as long as im getting similar life out of the linesets.

Any info you are willing to share is greatly appreciated!

Dave
Ready...Set...Go..!

SkydiveSwakop

In your environment you're going to notice the abrasion resistance difference between HMA and vectran more than usual, I would definitely recommend Vectran for your situation.

We offer Vectran 400 as standard for Leias now, and Vectran 550 for people wanting more longevity from their lines. I would definitely go this route for you.

Also - DAMN I travelled Namibia 10 years ago before I was a jumper, now I'm absolutely frothing at the thought of jumping over Swakopmund!!! I think I'll have to make a trip over sometime soonish!

Hamish - NZ Aerosports