lintern

Safire 2 - strange openings even with new line set

Pobrause

do you happen to know where else one might find a serial number imprinted on the canopy? The unreliable label can't be the only way to identify this canopy, or is it?

My rigger told me that this was an issue with the early Safires so they started fitting a tag with the serial number inside one of the cells (the centre cell I think). But there isn't one on this canopy - we've looked everywhere but there is nothing.

Apparently there were a number of these rigs built for a team call Freefly Euphoria. The canopy has the Gillette logo stitched onto the top skin and the container (Wings) has Dirtdive.co.uk stitched on to the side of it. I assume this was for sponsorship. The risers and 3 ring release are bigger than usual - apparently this was a mistake with the order so they sold the rigs cheap.

I have tried to contact the person who sold it but not had any luck so far.

I would like to thank everyone for their posts, especially to MEL (masterrigger1) who has been very supportive and helpful :)

MEL has kindly provided me with the correct line specs for a Safire 1 and also explained what is happening with the openings, so I thought I would share this information....

"What is happening is the canopy is not fully pressurised on both sides before it starts flying. When it does that, it simply is running over the other side, folding it under and making the nose unable to gain air. The canopy finally inflates to full pressure by means of the crossports."

This makes sense when looking at the video footage of the openings.

Just my 2cents:
Many of us jump old old canopies.
However the performance is not the same as it was when the canopies where new.
Canopies age, even if not jumped.
Based on your profile you do aprox. 70 jumps a year.
That is not super current, which makes me wonder if you shot be jumping an old canopy on t's last leg?

While I understand the financial limitation, please remember that having a canopy in this sport is not optional (not going to argue about that the reserve is still there to save your a$$).

You may want to look around to see what is on the market in your area?

It's worse than that - I used to average 80 jumps a year but over the last 7 years my average is 35 to 40. Reason being is that I became a single parent so I spend alternate weekends with my daughter (and that's our special rare time so I don't want to spend it at the dropzone), then there's the issue of lack of finances then there's the issue that I live in the U.K. so even when I do have weekends free the weather is usually rubbish. Hence my low annual jump numbers which people take the piss out of!