KaLexiSPEED

Small Aff Jumper - Right Canopy?

Hey guys! Super new to this sport but I am loving it so far! So, I am about 105 pounds and use a 220 for my AFF. It fits pretty well, but (and maybe this is because I am used to paragliding) I feel super light flying the canopy, like I am staying up in the air for a long time - don't get me wrong the view are great but.... Any suggestions (downsizing? maybe I am not being aggressive enough?) Thanks!!B|

Sounds normal for dz student gear. Ask your instructors for specific feedback, if there are other options (maybe a 200 or 190) that will fit your body, skydive-parachute skill, and are avaluable at the right times, maybe that's an option for you.

In my experience, it makes more sense for dz's to invest in bigger student gear than smaller, as "staying up" and landing slow is generally safer for beginners (so a handful of medium sized gear and a couple for bigger folks and a couple for smaller folks will cover it).

Thanks a bunch for your feedback! Yeah it makes a lot of sense to have one that is a bit larger than smaller, just because of my level and safety, which I totally understand and actually embrace (hey I'd rather be too safe than sorry). And staying up for now is fine - tie view is great :)

Nice! There are plenty of canopy skills to work on with your extra airtime and you can also practice landing pattern/skills and look at surrounding fields/outs in detail (find all the fences, power lines, obstacles, etc before you meet them up close!).

In the past few weeks, I've taught 2 people about your size. One person was no more than 109. The other who I flew with just yesterday is 100 pounds even. I didn't fly either person on their first 2 jumps.

Since the jump I was about to be on is intended to be a release dive, we had to consider the student's best interest of success, and of safety. We had a choice of a rig that was too large, or a rig that was small enough that contained a 168 Pilot.

I chose the rig with the 168, made sure the leg straps were tied together at the proper length and put a belly band on the rig.

Both students not only flew well, they could turn and properly flare the canopy. The *heavier* jumper, flared too high on the first jump and still had a decent landing. She fell over, but the landing wasn't hard.

The container size must be taken into consideration. The rig can't move side to side and *fly* the student. The rig has to fit well enough, and be properly secured to the student so they can't come out of it if the parachute opens in a less than optimum body position.

As an instructor, it's a struggle to believe the smaller canopy is appropriate, but at a .7 to 1 wingload max... it becomes rational. Besides, that type of progression has been going on for decades so it wasn't something new. Both students flew a 240 navigator before I flew with them.

Ideally you'd be put on a 190, then a 170, and so on. But it wouldn't be a stretch to use a 170ish right now as long as the canopy has a long control stroke so it won't stall easily.

I'm not sure what rental Gear you have up at skydance, but I do know they have quite a big selection. Personally I'd take you out of a student harness immediately and put you in a rig more suitable for your size. I'd make sure the leg straps were secured, and a belly band was used.

Good luck! Be safe and of course, don't fly into the gun club. That would be dumb :)
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Thanks so much! Yeah I was also reading up on the belly bands here on dropzone, and I think for my Level 3 I'll ask for one, as well as a 190. The 220 was pretty large and well kept me afloat for awhile. I'm about 105, so I think the 190 should be fine, and then I'll downsize accordingly.

What is the typical wingloading on students? (Stupid question probably, but I'm super new at this lol)

I'm assuming the 190 would be a "bit" harder to fly (or be more prone to malfunctions) than the student ones, but since I am so small I am not sure if that would be a problem...

SKydance has a lot of gear, so I'm sure they have my size! Would you recommend bungee cords as well for my chicken legs? Maybe it would be easier if I just gained weight lol...

Flying into the gun club? As epic as that might sound, I think I'll try to avoid that haha. I'll just go shooting after :D

Thanks a bunch!

timrf79

AFAIK students should be at a WL of 0.8.
However canopy size is a big factor too.
Meaning heavier students will have a higher WL and lighter students a lower WL.

Anything under 150 is a high performance canopy...

.7 to .9 is the usual recommended range around here...

100% tie the leg straps together with a bungee, or even a correct length solid cord such as a pull up cord. The harness needs to be short enough so that when you are standing, and the the leg straps are tightened properly, the leg straps form a V, and are not straight across. If the leg straps won't tighten around the leg, I've been known to remove a leg pad bartack so the pad can be compressed.

The fit doesn't have to be perfect and there's almost no way it will be with your body style and a large parachute, but it can be close enough to be safe.

The other challenge is how fast you might fall. Your instructors already know this. You should be in a very tight jump suit, and they need to dress in a way that going super slow is an option. When the instructor puts you in spandex, or a slick skin tight suit, it's actually for a purpose.

I used to give the super small students a pink spandex jumpsuit. Often I'd hear complaints. I fixed that by wearing a super baggy heavy material pink flowery jump suit. If the student had to wear the pink suit, so did I!

Have fun. The only thing I'd be sure of, is the leg bungee, the belly band and a reasonable fit. Those simple things keep a person in the harness if the parachute is opened in a less than optimum body position.

Thanks a bunch! I am thinking of the bungee and belly band too. Especially reading about what happened in OK. Better safe than sorry!!
This might be a dumb question, but what would a tight jumpsuit do? Make me fall at a better rate?
Thanks!!! LOL @ the pink suit, that's awesome!!!

A tight jumpsuit will have less drag so you will go faster.
ZP fabric in the front (looks shiny like a trash bag) will help too (options for when you order your own suit).

A baggy jumpsuit on helps someone (your instructors) slow down because it adds drag. Cotton fabrics help too. I'm 190 ish out the door, to jump with 100 lb students I wear my gripper suit with huge grippers and add a big floppy cotton suit on top, the grippers help that big suit catch even more air and I can be lazy on my jump and stay right with my student.

Ask your instructors, and talk to other jumpers in person.

Please don't rely too much on this website. There are some things I won't talk about on this site, but small jumpers often get hosed. The tips I mentioned were for both you and instructors that may not think past putting a student on a big ass student rig. If your rig hinders your learning, or is potentially dangerous, then I am inclined to broadcast it.

If you haven't met Valerie yet, go find her. She is a good person to talk jumpsuits with.

thanks a bunch! I generally take most things I read on the internet with a grain of salt. Basically was just wondering if I was being paranoid or not, and I'm a super curious person with little knowledge on skydiving (who wants to know more). I really do trust my instructors; they seem very safety conscious and are awesome people as well.

Thanks a bunch! (and Valerie from iFly? - she is my coach in the tunnels - super cool chica)