scootstevens

Hatred towards audible alarms

Boys, I'm forced to use an audible for big ways. The alarm is raping my ear every single f#%*ing time I land. Tell me there is a model that will not activate alarms below the selected break off altitudes?!? I'm trying to be a better person here but lately i've been pulling the battery and just pretending to push buttons in the dirt dive discussions, its only a matter of time before my cover is blown.

Blue Skies,

Scott Stevens.

Why not put some tape over hole if it bothers you that much. Experiment poking smaller holes. To me this is a non issue. Is it really hurting your ears? Or messing with concentration? Bigger things to worry about imo. Slow down if its that big of deal or put tape over it. Problem solved
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.

If you set all three alarms for the BREAKOFF altitude, you'll have your hard-deck siren screaming in your ear from breakoff until your canopy is open and flying. I learned that one the hard way... If you're going to set them all for the same altitude, choose your hard-deck altitude. As for beeping when you land - which audible do you have? With Optima2 you can turn off the low-speed alarms and the swoop corridor beeps if you want to.

I think he means his dytter goes off during his swoop landing, thinking it's in freefall again. As this is the very function it is designed for I don't know any dytter where you can turn THAT off.

I always wear earplugs so it doesn't bother me but on the odd jump where I forget them I too think my ears get ripped appart during my swoop.

So my solution for you would be to wear hearing protection, at least on the ear with the dytter :P

-------------------------------------------------------

To absent friends

You're missing the humour in the post bud. It's 2016 can we not make an audible that doesn't let out any ear blasting siren when we land our sub one hundred canopies?!? If you are a toggle pumping long spotting belly flyer with a sabre 170 i dont want to hear from you on the topic. This is a real problem for the god damn boys.

In response to the Optima statement above, if the low speed alarms are activated, will the high speed alarms be deactivated during that period? I think tiny canopies still hit the "high" speeds during the swoop and still go off.

Serious question though people i would really like to know. Thanks.

For the Optima, it reads as though the high speed alarm sounds whether the low speed ones are enabled or not - as a safety probably.

3rd warning:
Siren alarm as long as vertical airspeed exceeds 13 m/sec at
or below the preset altitude. After deployment the trigger
speed switches to 35 m/sec. Sound sequence: High pitch
continuous siren.

35 m/s is the firing speed of an Expert Cypres 2 - another reminder for anyone building up speed to consider your AAD mode.

I'm often hearing the siren the bottom of my 270s, even loaded at ~2.2, although not sure whether it's my Pro-Dytter or Optima2 as they are on the same ear; probably the Pro-Dytter with a slower siren speed.

Simple solutions.....go get a manta 288 and stop landing so damn fast :P..............no more worble in the recovery lol

Not sure about the hard deck alarm, but the alarms on the N3A are programmable...ie you can do music or change the voice. So maybe you could program it to something more to your likeing

justme12001

Simple solutions.....go get a manta 288 and stop landing so damn fast

..that's more or less what Mads Larsen told me after I complained about the same last year :

"..Live with it, or don't make so sharp turns..."

So all swoopers with be deaf in a few years ;)

craddock

Why not put some tape over hole if it bothers you that much. Experiment poking smaller holes. To me this is a non issue. Is it really hurting your ears? Or messing with concentration? Bigger things to worry about imo. Slow down if its that big of deal or put tape over it. Problem solved

Nice. Shame on the mfgers for not putting volume control in there.

"Warning old school opinion"

You could always learn to use your twin optical altimeters and break yourself from the Pavlovian conditioning of an audible.
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

The N-3, used as an audible, lets you select the volume of the freefall and the canopy alarms (not fine tuning, but something like quiet and loud).
Also, it lets you disable either set of alarms, if you don't like the canopy alarms (or the freefall alarms).
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.

Di0

The N-3, used as an audible, lets you select the volume of the freefall and the canopy alarms (not fine tuning, but something like quiet and loud).
Also, it lets you disable either set of alarms, if you don't like the canopy alarms (or the freefall alarms).

Try an n3a. You can enable/disable canopy,freefall,and count down alarms, as well as set the heights and volumes. You can even record your own wav file and have it play that!
Flock University FWC / ZFlock
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121

Gene03

"Warning old school opinion"

You could always learn to use your twin optical altimeters and break yourself from the Pavlovian conditioning of an audible.

Only to hear the cries of "they weren't using the tools available to them to mitigate the risk; a lack of audible canopy alarms was a link in the chain to this incident."

I'm fine not using an altimeter or audible for freefall (but, prefer to use both - I have two audibles) but, if I'm trying to swoop, I'd much prefer to have my eyes in the prize *AND* other canopy traffic than watching my altimeter. How better to learn the site picture than to be looking at it when your audible tells you what number you're looking at?

Dedicated swoop lane, everybody's doing it, grown ass man decission, generally bad judgement proven through not using a audible at all ect.

He also might just be doing normal 90-180* hookturns, more or less acceptible if don correctly and at least with my canopies easily fast enough to trigger my dytter.
-------------------------------------------------------

To absent friends

Pobrause

Dedicated swoop lane, everybody's doing it,

I'm sorry but this just isn't true. If you're on a proper big way there isn't going to be a dedicated swoop lane and not everybody is doing it! A crossbraced canopy just isn't the right tool to bring to big way's.

A small turn is completely acceptable and is the standard approach for all the small canopies that typically land at the front of the pack in flawless sequence.

Moreover, at many smaller DZs after small way free flying and getting down first in clear air space we will all swoop, I'm sure you do too. It would be nice to utilize the audible for the free flying portion and not have it blasting off during routine landings.

Thank you to those who responded. With the explosive growth of free flying and swooping (which often go hand in hand) I'm sure a future model will meet our needs.

Enjoy the rest of summer guys. I'm done with this thread. Cheers.