degeneration

Best camera angle/view for self-analysis/debrief of swoop attempts

As per the title really...

When practicing swoops what's the best camera angle/view to use for debriefing and analysis? And by that I mean with the camera on the swooper, not an external camera.

I know a more POV one won't be as good as external, but for self-analysis when I'm practicing without a coach or anyone to film the landing, it's my only option.

So basically, is it:
Standard Forward facing;
Chest mounted, looking up
or some other?

I'm just getting myself a little action cam so want to know how to mount it!
Sky Switches - Affordable stills camera tongue switches and conversion adaptors, supporting various brands of camera (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic).

Depends on what you're looking for. Chest mounted looking up will give you details in the various inputs, a bit on body positioning and you can watch how your canopy responds to inputs and how it recovers. POV camera will give you more information on the sight picture in the rollout and perhaps it's easier to see the timing for the turn and/or surge. Better yet, two cameras synced in time will give you both bits of information. Even better, a flysight (and gswoop) will provide you with detailed timing and speed information.

But best by far ... have a friend film you with an outside camera. If there's two of you, it's better (imho) to do every other jump and get half as many jumps, but also get the outside video, compared to only having the swoopers POV.

A friend of mine leaves his camera turned on in the landing area before boarding, and then picks it up after landing. Ymmv.

TommyBotten

Depends on what you're looking for.

Basically whatever will give the most valuable information for someone at the beginner stages of learning to swoop. (I know the words "beginner" and "learning" and "swoop" in the same sentence set alarm bells going, but I've done the Flight-1 100 and 200 series, so am practising what I learnt on those.)

TommyBotten

Even better, a flysight (and gswoop) will provide you with detailed timing and speed information.

I've seen some flysight data and don't have a clue how to interpret it. Does it overlay with a video? Cause I'm not 100% convinced that it would mean that much to me without the video of what I was doing at the same time.

TommyBotten

A friend of mine leaves his camera turned on in the landing area before boarding, and then picks it up after landing.

Where I generally jump the boarding and landing areas are not in the same place, so I won't be able to do this.

I can pick up cheap and semi-cheerful ish gopro style cameras for very little these days, so may go the both views route. Otherwise think I'll put the first one as forward facing, as it sounds a bit better for my goals in learning at the moment.
Sky Switches - Affordable stills camera tongue switches and conversion adaptors, supporting various brands of camera (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic).

imho the best view for SELF analysis you can get when mount your camera on your knee. set wide-angle, 60fps and you have full info - your hands, chest, eyes, legs, front and rear risers. you can see how fast or how slow do you turn, full turn dynamics and most of mistakes.

second view ofcourse is ground-camera.

Yes the data can be sync'd with video. You set the exit point on the graph and also on the video and it syncs it based on that common point.

It's really useful to see where your speed is dropping off during the turn, where you generate the most power etc.

Also, gSwoop!!!