raymod2

benefits of bigger turns

Over the years there has been lots of debate over the optimal turn or how many degrees of rotation are needed to achieve maximum speed for a given wing. Competitive pro level swoopers fly anywhere from a 450 degree turn to an 810 degree turn.

I've personally been using a 630 degree turn for about a year and a half. While analyzing my GPS data I have noticed that on most swoops I nearly reach my peak vertical speed after only 270 degrees of rotation.

While training for Nationals yesterday I did an unplanned 270 degree turn and I was surprised to discover that this was my best run of the weekend. It's food for thought and I'm sharing my data as my contribution to the conversation. I was flying a Petra 67 with 206 lbs exit weight for a wing loading of 3.08. The elevation was 5000' MSL and the ground winds were 5-10mph (downwind).

video: https://vimeo.com/159000246

plots: (attached)

metrics:

exited airplane: 4964 ft AGL
initiated turn: 1374 ft AGL, 444 ft back, -527 ft offset
max vertical speed: 440 ft AGL, 412 ft back, -18 ft offset (94.8 mph)
started rollout: 357 ft AGL, 391 ft back, -27 ft offset (93.5 mph)
finished rollout: 12 ft AGL, -8 ft back, -3 ft offset
max total speed: 175 ft AGL, 293 ft back, -27 ft offset (102.0 mph)
max horizontal speed: 34 ft AGL, 96 ft back, -7 ft offset (89.2 mph)

degrees of rotation: 308 deg (right-hand)
time to execute turn: 11.70 sec
time during rollout: 3.92 sec
time aloft during swoop: 7.26 sec

entry gate speed: 84.1 mph
distance to stop: 628 ft
touchdown estimate: 605 ft (23.6 mph)
speed carve time: ---- sec (---- mph)

As a person that is learning/reading about swooping and only relatively recently decided that's what I want to do in the sport, please accept my "Fuck Yeah" by looking at those numbers.

Now, as an aerospace engineer intuitively I see how on less performing wings the benefit of bigger turns are limited, since drag increases roughly like speed squared, any wing that is not very efficient (an I mean aerodynamically efficient, as in L/D) will hit its terminal speed fairly soon.
I am surprised to see, though, that you seem to hit this terminal speed on a very highly loaded Petra, which is marketed as benefiting from very large turns.
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.

Sure, there are other considerations when choosing a turn. A bigger turn gives you more time to adjust but also more time to get pushed out of position by strong uppers. I'll say that one advantage of going from a 450 to a 630 is that the turn initiation height is not nearly as important.