Yanni

Wingovers

So I'm working on getting my wingover. Any advice out their from people who do them? I'm on a katakana 150 loaded at 1.5... It would be sweet if I can touch grass with my wingtip on a big canopy(bragging rights I guess). The last foot or so is really proving to be quite difficult. Links to videos and photos would be cool too so feel free to share if you have them. I'll see if I can upload where I left off later.
Door! Green! Enjoy

this 270 looked sketchy to me, in the last 100' (vertical) you are still turning. There is no clear initiation of the wingover, it looks like a continuous turn all the way from the start of the 270 to the flare. You should finish the turn higher and allow the canopy to point straight and plane out, once you are travelling parallel to the ground and in contact, tow drag or close enough to drag, then you can think about initiating a freestyle move.

How many jumps do you have currently?
Life is ez
On the dz
Every jumper's dream
3 rigs and an airstream

It kinda morphed into that through heavier and heavier carving. I kinda plateaued a bit at one point on how far i could tip it over and bring it back up. Keeping a little bit of turn at the end was some input given to me by a reputable canopy pilot as something to try making it a little easier to pull it off. It has helped a bit actually. For the wing over attempts I was using a mellow 270 keeping just a hint of turn going with a non aggressive recovery. Its hard to see exactly whats going on with it in the video. I was using just a hint of rears to plane out(not much keeping it very conservative until I plane out at toe drag height) and right at that moment I use a hefty amount of left riser throwing the canopy over and compensating with the opposite riser. The timing and the aggressiveness of the opposite riser input lets me dictate my waist height off the ground. I burn off tons of energy when the wing is off to the side like that so it leaves me just enough time to throw it over hard and snap it back up with the toggles for a stand up.

"puts bag of popcorn in the microwave" 650-700 jumps 400-450 on KA 150 I'm a little behind on my logging but somewhere between that.

This was from a couple months ago not supper current at the moment so the swooping progression is on the sideline for a bit and working on video until I get current enough to really get back at the canopy stuff. Figured it would be a good topic for the forum since the canopy control section has been a bit dull lately.
Door! Green! Enjoy

I think u can get more out of that turn, you may have missed a step or two downsizing when you did. More harness and higher initiation perhaps. Watch the highlights of the major comps, the top pilots don't have roll in the canopy during the last 100'. If you make a mistake and need to dig out or trim out you'll be at a disadvantage if you have roll near the ground. The freestyle element is totally secondary to a safe and efficient plane out and course entry.
Life is ez
On the dz
Every jumper's dream
3 rigs and an airstream

Looks more like at 360º than a 270º and yeah, you carve all the way to the ground which isn't a great idea.

You should remember that having extra airspeed is a good thing for that so, when you're not getting the turn right, you're just compromising your ability to do the trick anyway.