ridebmxbikes

turning the wrong way?

Okay – cool. Running through your points, when you are learning a new mechanic and sight picture it can be difficult to visualise and understand what you are doing as well as the impact on placement (not to mention the actual mechanic). That is why coaching and getting good information at the start is so important (and an aid to longevity)

Consistency is also important, you need to learn to accept your mistakes and accept when you have made a mistake in the turn. Accept the mistake (get the data from it and see what it does to your recovery and positioning). Then you will learn from that mistake. If you are always changing the turn because of the mistakes, you will never have consistency. E.g. adding more variables does not help you solve particular problems, much easier to isolate 1 at a time.

Oh turns are not ‘generally’ different in comp (other than guaranteeing the gates); I just meant that the turn of most people who compete is a lot more aggressive with a very strong rollout (and smaller margin for error) as opposed to more casual DZ swooping. E.g way less carvey more snapping hard on the line

Get more coaching – you will love it. Competing is awesome and you will learn heaps
Ohh the progression is turn mechanic, heights, accuracy. If the step earlier is not consistent, the later will not be

Don’t’ waste time doing a different turn (hell even a different direction) as you don’t have your primary nailed. It is kind of like working on freeflying, FS and CRW at the same time. You are not going to be good at any of them. Do one thing, do it consistently, do it well. After that you can muck around with other stuff
"Don't blame malice for what stupidity can explain."

"In our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart and in our despair, against our will comes wisdom" - Aeschylus

If you were able to squeeze a whole extra 180 degs in your turn, you began too high to start with.
Which is a good thing, because with that attitude, and peculiar interpretation of the word "abort", if you started at the right altitude, we'd be reading an incident report.
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.

That's not quite true - speeding the turn up (within reason) can reduce the height loss for a given rotation.

My observation on this thread is that the OP is turning too low already with a fast rotation when he should be taking longer. On a Katana, I'd expect a 270 from around 650-700ft; 100ft higher for a Velo.

Similarly, the OP is on a Katana @ 1.5 - so why do a 450? Going beyond 270 isn't going to get you anywhere as a non-crossbrace can't keep the additional pressure and energy that the higher turn provides, so it's really marginal over the 270. Coupled with the increased difficulty in sighting it, it's unlikely that any benefit will ever been seen - the OP would probably get a better swoop using a 270.

To the OP: concentrate on perfecting your 270 @ 1.5, then get comfortable on the Katana @ 1.8, then move to a crossbrace. Then worry about 450s - which will be several hundred jumps away.
--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13

Pendragon

That's not quite true - speeding the turn up (within reason) can reduce the height loss for a given rotation.

True that.
You're of course right, mine was more of a tongue-in-cheek joke.
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.

Like I said, the 450s are a novelty every once in a while. I have about 900 jumps on my katana and at least 800 have been doing 270s. 99% of swoops happen from between 680 and 720. Lower end for comps. About 50 of those are blindmen and now I'm learning ghost riders after seeing the video from last friday. Pulled 2 off saturday! I've been ready for something else. I do novelty swoops just to keep from getting too bored.

I haven't done a 450 in a couple of months so yes I rushed my turn a bit in the beginning, then kicked the rest around once I realized what happened, slight dig out on rears and dragged a toe across the beer line.

You're right though. I get marginal results doing a 450 than a 270. I get slight more but it's way harder to be efficient and hit gates at the same doing the 450. Not something I'd bring to any sunset comp. If I downsize then bigger turns won't even be on my mind. Not for a while anyways.

Variance exactly because of density altitude And because I'm not perfect. For comps it's just easier not to sit and drag out a turn and still hit the gates. It give a little more play for gate placement for the gates. It may be wrong, I just find it easier to move around a bit if I'm not committed to a long turn because I have to drag it out.

Edit In bold