Ron

Data on canopy flight.....

Where can I get some data on canopy flight... What I am looking for is some data on speed/descent/glide ratio.

Can the trackers the wingsuit guys use also collect data for a guy under canopy?
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I log all of my jumps (mostly wingsuit) with a Flysight and I don't turn it off until I land. Heck, sometimes I forget and leave it on for hours!

So, I have canopy data but it is from a 150 with a pretty tame landing. Is that what you are looking for?

Simon
Summer Rental special, 5 weeks for the price of 4! That is $160 a month.

Try before You Buy with Wicked Wingsuits - WingsuitRental.com

What I am looking for is to try and get glide ratio, fwd speed, and descent info so I can do some comparisons for flocking.

Longer version: I have two aerobatic airplanes and wanted to get some data on canopy flight to see if there was any chance at formation with a guy under canopy.

Can someone post some data on what this recording system provides? The size of the canopy is not important at this point, but smaller is probably better. I'd just like to see the kind of data it provides. If it is good, then I'll see about getting a recorder and running some descents in both my planes and see if there is any chance of pulling it off.

If they can fly XRW. And can fly wingsuits with gliders.... It might be possible to fly a canopy and a plane in formation.

I have not seen anyone do it... And even if they have, I have not done it. I keep my planes at the DZ and it sounds like a neat project.

I am doing some research now on how to prevent shock cooling my engine.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I can get you some flysight data from successful XRW jumps if you want. I think I know what the answer will be but I can get you the data so you can see for yourself.

Send me a PM if that works with your email and I will get raw data files. The flysight output is in an easy to use text format that can be used with Excel or multiple viewers.
Summer Rental special, 5 weeks for the price of 4! That is $160 a month.

Try before You Buy with Wicked Wingsuits - WingsuitRental.com

skow

Think you could share it?

It's mentioned in the flysight wiki.
It's a Excel add-in. It only works on windows computers as the apple version of Excel is not nearly enough advanced.

You need to grant the add in permisson to install itself on your Excel.
Once that is done Excel should recognize flysight files and prompt you if you wish to use the software or not, and if you want to change the settings.

Yeah, I think I know the answer too, and it is no, but feel free to crunch the data.

XRW exists at the minimum speeds wingsuits can fly and the maximum canopies can, only recently have the two extremes met.

Wingsuits have been flown with planes (powered and not) because they can achieve a IAS of well over 100kts. Canopies (in straight line) struggle to hit 50kts. Even in a diving turn I think the IAS is somewhere around 80kts.

Wingsuits also have a great deal of pitch control, comparatively, canopies have essentially none, in a straight line anyway.

But good luck dude, would be cool to see, just beware of wake turbulence B|

Out of curiosity, what is the minimum IAS you would be able to attempt that kind of thing with in your aircraft, regardless of glide ratio or descent speed?