Ronsebag

Katana 107 loaded 1.7 what's next?

Jumped a Ka120 at 1.75 and when it was time I didn't think twice and bought a Ka107 to load it at 1.9-2.15 with lead. Velos are nice from that point on, below I found I had more fun under my Katanas. In your place I'd start to look for a nice Ka97.
-------------------------------------------------------

To absent friends

Ronsebag

if you flew this canopy at similar wing loading and down sized after, what was your choice and experiences.
Thanks

Not enough information...

Total jumps?

Jumps on canopy?

Currency?

Proficiency?

Aspirations?

Depending on the answers to these and other questions, the best advice could vary widely - and might even include up-sizing.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Agree w Chuck about needing more info. However- I went from my Ka107 to a VE90 after a few jumps on 103's and 96's. It's been awhile- but from what I remember the VE103 and 96 both felt like an upsize. The 90 felt "right" to me. I also came from a dz with a lot of HP canopy advice and plenty of wings to borrow as needed- hopefully you have similar.

I loved my KA... but the speed range, swoop length, and shut down power of the VE was a nice change.
BASE 1384

I jump a ka107 between 1.5-1.7. I'm going to a ve90 when I can get around to it. Unless I win the lottery then I'm going vk.

Personally though I try to jump as much as a variety of Canopies that I can. I say go velo but you may not like the openings on a velo. Try out some new stuff. It's fun.

NzA is shipping out the first pre production models of their Xf3 to chosen jumpers soon. I can't imagine PD being too far behind in their R&D.

ETA:
So what just crossed my mind is this:
The Katana is already so damn close to the Velocity, how is the new non xbraced schuman canopy going to fit into their portfolio? If it's faster than a Katana but without the hassle of crossbracing won't the Velocity be a little obsolete at least in bigger sizes? Or will they discontinue the Ka and focus only on the new canopy, not making small enough sizes so that they can't compete with the Velocity?
I really need to become a testjumper for PD, the suspense is killing me :D

To absent friends

The XF3 is meant to be the spiritual successor to the XF2 and the X is a KA competitor (allegedly). I'd think that the progression would/could be XF3 -> XF3X -> Leia. The XF3/XF3X/SF3 are all meant to be Schumann Planform wings. What I wonder is, how NZA sees people progressing from their "normal people" wings through to the JVX and JPX given that the JPX is a very different beast (longer recovery, etc). I suppose they could see SF3 -> XF3 -> JVX and SF3 -> XF3 -> XF3X -> JFX -> JPX? At that point, I suppose we're splitting hairs.

The KA2 (or whatever it's going to be called) is meant to sit between the SA and the KA I think? So, there will be a more reasonable step between PD's "normal people" wings and a swooping progression. So SA2 -> KA2 -> VC -> VK rather than SA2 ------> KA -> VC ;).

Who knows if NZA or PD are going to continue making their "old" top of the line wings or not and/or, if people will see them as part of a progression given where CP is going. The Schumann Planform is just a more efficient design and, once the main manufacturers transition their range to Schumann Planform wings, I don't see the bulk of skydivers continuing to outlay cash on "old" designs. Could be wrong though, wouldn't be the first time. ;)

ridebmxbikes

Unless I win the lottery then I'm going vk.

This is not the right progression and is very bad advice. The VK's and Leias are not suitable as a first crossbraced canopy! You should still fly a Velo/JVX for a long time before moving to these new wings and be very current when you do!

Have a look at the NZA website, They have these requirements to fly a Leia:

"1500+ jumps
500+ jumps on a crossbraced canopy at a 2.0wl or above
250+ jumps (minimum) in the last 12 months
A reference from a coach or experienced competitive swooper"

And from Pd on the Valkyrie:

"The Valkyrie was designed for expert skydivers who are already experienced and highly competent on high performance, cross braced canopies. If you’re jumping a Velocity or Comp Velocity and want to take it to the next level, this is the canopy for you."

Too many people are already going to these wings before they should and it is going to end in tears/coffins (It already has for a few people)

I don't mean to jump on your comment but it is a very worrying one.

Edited to add PD's view on the matter aswell.

chuckakers

***if you flew this canopy at similar wing loading and down sized after, what was your choice and experiences.
Thanks

I'm planning on jumping my 107 since I feel I have more to learn on it.
I was thinking that in next 100 jumps I would look at another canopy
Total jumps? 750

Jumps on canopy? 170 and before 200 on a katana 120

Currency? 170 in last 12 months 2 Brian Germain canopy corses, flight 101 and 102 and a local canopy course in last 4 years

Proficiency? I could say I hav a natural flying soul coming from other flying sports like pilot full scale ect .
I'm not landing 270 on the gound I only practice them up high.
I'm comfortable with front riser 90s and have been filmed doing them many times and it's looking good. "Safe"
Aspirations? Maybe compete one day on a non serious level meaning I'm fine with last place :)
What's the most important to me is going home at the end of the day and not the hospital or morg

Depending on the answers to these and other questions, the best advice could vary widely - and might even include up-sizing.

Total jumps?

Jumps on canopy?
170 and before 200 on a katana 120

Currency?
170 in last 12 months 2 Brian Germain canopy corses, flight 101 and 102 and a local canopy course in last 4 years

Proficiency?
I could say I hav a natural flying soul coming from other flying sports like pilot full scale ect .
I'm comfortable with front riser 90s and have been filmed doing them many times and it's looking good. "Safe"

Aspirations?
Maybe compete one day on a non serious level meaning I'm fine with last place :)
What's the most important to me is going home at the end of the day and not the hospital or morg

I'm bored...
---------------

If you want to bring those 270s down someday stay on the 107 for as long as it takes you.
170 jumps a year is a bit on the low side for a Katana at even higher loadings imho, so I'd advise against any other downsizes until you manage to jump more.

To absent friends

Ronsebag

******if you flew this canopy at similar wing loading and down sized after, what was your choice and experiences.
Thanks

Total jumps? 750

Jumps on canopy? 170 and before 200 on a katana 120

Currency? 170 in last 12 months 2 Brian Germain canopy corses, flight 101 and 102 and a local canopy course in last 4 years

Proficiency? I could say I hav a natural flying soul coming from other flying sports like pilot full scale ect .
Aspirations? Maybe compete one day on a non serious level meaning I'm fine with last place :)

I downsized from a Katana 120 @ 1.7 to a Velo 90 @ 2.2 at around the 800 jump point and found it seemed reasonable. Most of my jumps are CP focused hop n pops and I was pretty consistent at hitting gates with a 270 on my Katana before the downsize, also done about 12 canopy courses and did it under the advice of two CP coaches.
I'd recommend getting some more coaching and get your 270s squared away on your 107, then try a Velo 90 or similar.

A view years ago, but perhaps someone is interested in. You can downsize with weights.

My downsizing:

Sabre 2 135
Sabre 2 135 with 7kg weights
Katana 120
Katana 120 with 7 kg weights
Katana 107
Katana 107 with 7 kg weights
Velo 90
Velo 90 with 7 kg weights
Peregrine 71