Pobrause

RDS Lanyard material vs Lineburn?!

Maybe this is the better section for such a question, sorry for the repost.

Have only ever jumped and owned Lookma RDS systems that use quite thick unprotected dacron lanyards to connect POD and slider. Those are very soft, slippery (like dacron on tandem reserves, not the stiff, protected dacron for normal use) and in quite a number of jumps haven't caused lineburn on any of my canopies.
Never terminal, always used an extra pocket on my POD to stow the excess lanyard.

Recently I got my hands on a Comp Velo with PD RDS. They used vectran for their lanyard. The previous owner also used a pocket on the POD to stow the lanyard away and exclusively used the canopy for non terminal competition runs. The canopy shows heavy lineburns after 270 jumps.

Same with a JVX from a friend of mine, that also shows several signs of lineburn. Not sure, what material the JVX lanyard is made of but its also quite stiff and high-friction, like the one from PD.

What are your experiences regarding this? What is the ultimate way to avoid lineburn and friction holes due to full RDS systems?! What material are other manufactures using? UPT, Chupacabra and the like?!
Does it make any difference at all?
Have I just been lucky so far?
-------------------------------------------------------

To absent friends

I think it makes a huge difference how you stow your RDS lanyards. I think some people stow it at the bottom of the bag (some use a rubberband attached to sling connecting lanyard to the bag). I personally stow mine just at the edge of the bag and so far have no lineburn marks. Although I only have jumped about 160 jumps with full RDS with this canopy.

EDIT: not to be completely off-topic. I have a Skylark's RDS, with what seems to be normal dacron line (I'm guessing 400-500 lbs)

Lineburn occured on the top skin, as usual around the warning label.

I personally stow the excess lanyard in a designated pocket (just an open flap) on my semistowless bag and didn't have problems with lineburn so far.
But after I saw so many other canopies with burn marks and holes in them I feared for my own canopies.

Conclusion for me so far:
Avoiding lineburn is a combination of neat packing and a little luck ...
Amirite?
-------------------------------------------------------

To absent friends