yvanpec

Is it even beneficial to start swooping under a certain types of canopies ?

yvanpec

***As mentioned, I'm no swooper. But even I can point out a few things that you did that were wrong in that video. It was very sloppy, and I think you know that.

Of course I do. Let me just remind y'all that the title of the post wasn't "look at that awesome shit !"

Posted the video to get feedback. Some people are educated enough to be able to give that said feedback.

The volume of "feedback" for you to get is so large that you should get a coach to explain how to do what you want to do from the ground up. You do pretty much everything inefficiently, so my advice is take a long step back, and take a class with someone that has taught a bunch of people and a track record in both doing and teaching. Whoever taught you thus far didn't get very far with you...

lyosha

The volume of "feedback" for you to get is so large that you should get a coach to explain how to do what you want to do from the ground up. You do pretty much everything inefficiently, so my advice is take a long step back, and take a class with someone that has taught a bunch of people and a track record in both doing and teaching. Whoever taught you thus far didn't get very far with you...

heard that, and will do ! ;)
Better be on the ground wishing you were up there than being up there wishing you were on the ground.

1) I wanted so stay parallel to the landing zone and not interfere with anyone in the pattern. I am aware it's not ideal, but felt I had to correct my trajectory.

So you turned too low to complete your intended rotation.

When you posted this video did you feel that it was representative of your normal 'swoop' performance? If the answer is yes, then it conclusively shows that the problem with the recovery arc is becase of you, not the canopy. It's recovering quickly because you're stabbing out. You need to turn higher and let it dive.

If no, do you have a video of a good turn?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

jakee

1) I wanted so stay parallel to the landing zone and not interfere with anyone in the pattern. I am aware it's not ideal, but felt I had to correct my trajectory.

So you turned too low to complete your intended rotation.

When you posted this video did you feel that it was representative of your normal 'swoop' performance? If the answer is yes, then it conclusively shows that the problem with the recovery arc is becase of you, not the canopy. It's recovering quickly because you're stabbing out. You need to turn higher and let it dive.

If no, do you have a video of a good turn?

yeah that's pretty much what I have been doing (although I dont think I "swoop")

So I guess I have been doing it all wrong ! Very hard to judge from my point of view so thx for taking the time to tell me what's up.
Better be on the ground wishing you were up there than being up there wishing you were on the ground.

It has been said before, but I feel it cannot be said enough - Take courses, and have coaching by someone who is proficient and trustworthy. Hopefully your instructor or DZO can help you in your choice. Imho, having a mentor that follows your progress over tens (or hundreds) of jumps is crucial to a safe progress. Some DZs have a community for this kind of jumping. Try to look these up.

A good read is the BPA CP manual: http://www.bpa.org.uk/assets/Training/Canopy-handling/cpmanual.pdf

Now, that said ... For your technique given the video:

* Raise your setup altitude. There is no reason to plan for a turn under 300 feet, no matter the canopy or wl. Given your WL and technique, I'd guesstimate 400-450 feet setup. Which means you should practice to get a consistent pattern and turn at 500-550 feet.

* The surge should be 'helped' by front risers, not forced. Start the surge using a normal flare, let up and as the canopy dives forward, help it with the front risers. In the video, it looks quite a bit rushed.

* The dive and turn is very short. Let it dive straight in for a couple of seconds before initiating the turn. Let the turn be a full 90 degrees and spend a couple of seconds in the turn as well.

The early toggle stab out and slider has been commented on. There is also a lot in the plane out, the positioning in the harness, pattern flying and so forth , but these are hard to detail in a forum post.

Best advice I can give is be patient and get a good mentor.

Related to the OP, but also a general question to those more experienced, if your 90 turns are completely off, would going back to double fronts, learning and becoming decent at those be a beneficial progression, or just stick with 90s but learn to do them properly?
Sky Switches - Affordable stills camera tongue switches and conversion adaptors, supporting various brands of camera (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic).

degeneration

Related to the OP, but also a general question to those more experienced, if your 90 turns are completely off, would going back to double fronts, learning and becoming decent at those be a beneficial progression, or just stick with 90s but learn to do them properly?

If your setup and procedure is way off, like in the video of OP, a step back to doublefronts would be the way to go as you can fokus on improving your initiation technique without having to worry about groundrush too much. Also a fucked up straight in is way easier to abort than a fu 90° turn. Learn to do everything smoothly, without yanking and stabbing. Thats the goal of a SIDFA
straight in doublefront approaches, though they are a must have in your skill set prior to adding a turn, won't give you the necessary sight picture and ground rush experience you are going to need when adding a turn. But a solid set of skills will make everything so much safer and easier when progressing

Edit: saw you booked a course with Nick (Bartholmew?). So great I think that's the best plan of action.

Nick James Batsch and Curt (Bartholomew) FFS!
Don't you dare mixing up the names of my heroes
They're in the same team, Alter Ego, though. So I will be generous with your punishement...

10 jumps with a T10 should teach you some humility. :P
-------------------------------------------------------

To absent friends

Hey bro,

I haven't read the whole thread as i assume it will be much of the same answers that you find on all these posts. What I will say is this: You have coaching with Nick next month, don't change anything you're doing now until you get him to look at and pick apart your turn. He will, more than likely, change it entirely and you will be back to square one but with a shit ton more advice, knowledge, and experience helping you.

Have fun with the coaching mate, it will be worth every penny and more.

Max

The biggest benefit of loosening the chest strap is being able to move your body independently of the wing. (E.g. Staying vertical, with your feet below you, in the late stages of the flare while the canopy is behind you.)

Pulling the slider down is recommended but not doing it doesn't remove the benefits of loosening your chest strap.

I still loosen my chest strap under my reserve...

The problem is that even when you get to a point where you can safely start working on 90ºs once you've got your double fronts dialed in doesn't mean that your 90ºs are going to be any good. If you're "doing it right", learning double fronts will teach you your swoop technique from the top down, which is what you need to be learning and what your wing's recovery arc looks like. The top end (which is dependent on *how* you're learning high performance landings, there are different ways) includes pattern, pre swoop flight mode, initiation, etc, etc. Ideally you're not changing any of that when progressing from double fronts to 90ºs.

For example, you might fly in half or quarter brakes then, at the correct altitude (you should definitely have audibles while you're learning your sight picture) you let up your brakes, as you wing recovers from braked flight and surges forward, you follow it forward, pulling your front risers down smoothly. Once down you hold them for "X" amount of time (something an experienced coach should be able to help you with, I personally use a flysight) and then proceed with whatever turn you're doing. When you have that working consistently, switching to some other degree of rotation will mean adding that to your top end that you've already got worked out. If you're not getting coaching and/or advice from someone who knows what they're talking about, figuring out on your own the very important numbers that I deliberately left out of this post can be dangerous.

The video the OP posted shows what *might* be a consistent top end but one that most people would agree isn't going to result in much performance.

yvanpec

without getting in the specifics of "swooping advice over the internet", something I will say is:
a base leg is used to set up a swoop, if you want to build consistency it's very important that you don't give any (or as little as possible) input to your canopy in the seconds before starting your turn.
You're toggling very heavily right before starting your turn, that induces cycles in your canopy... which results in your arc, swoop etc. being inconsistent and unpredictable. That's very bad.
Use your base leg to let all the remaining cycles in your canopy to die down, usually about 8 seconds to subside, without unnecessary inputs that dirty the flight cycle.
There are many other things but you need a good canopy coach to tell you more.

These kinds of things will all be discussed in a canopy class, like flight 1 201 and 202, or anything similar offered by serious canopy coaches, TAKE THEM. They are worth every penny.
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.

That first guy on the Sabre2 170 is awesome. Goes to show what happens when you stick to one canopy and really learn it huh?

1400 at the time. about 1200 on a sabre2 170

--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?