ShotterMG

largest cross braced canopy?

If you are repurposing a canopy for base, I suggest a Pursuit 230. The last of the spanwise construction era. They have a tail pocket type design for the lines, the lines are tough and they open very fast. I know of a couple that have been mothballed and are nearly new. I'm guessing they are not hard to find.

Unfortunately, they land like shit.

I have jumps on a pursuit from back in the day . A friend of mine made his first 40 or so BASE jumps on a 230 rw version . The Excalibur is more an idea than a reality , just courious about a f 111 crossbraced as a swoop type bridge only canopy . It kind of falls under the catoragy not all ideas are good ideas

Skydive2

I remember meeting a guy around 2001 that had a VX or Xaos 135 (I'm pretty sure it was a VX)

and here i was thinking, nzaerosports made you any of their parachutes in any size..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

virgin-burner

***)

and here i was thinking, nzaerosports made you any of their parachutes in any size.. so If i ever want to downsize from my crossfire 2 169. I can order a v x 168? B|
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

keithbar

******)

and here i was thinking, nzaerosports made you any of their parachutes in any size.. so If i ever want to downsize from my crossfire 2 169. I can order a v x 168? B|

i was under the impression you should be able to order a 305 petra if that was your thing. i'm quite sure you'd get a couple eyebrows lifted your way, but other than that, yes, that's how i understand their marketing.
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

bob.dino

*** so If i ever want to downsize from my crossfire 2 169. I can order a v x 168? B|

I've jumped with someone on a VX 149. I like itB| any idea what they had for a wingloading?
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

keithbar

****** so If i ever want to downsize from my crossfire 2 169. I can order a v x 168? B|

I've jumped with someone on a VX 149. I like itB| any idea what they had for a wingloading?

He was not the smallest guy around. I don't recall the exact wingloading, but it was in a normal VX range for the early-mid-2000s. So probably 1.7-2.0? I vaguely recall him putting the canopy up for sale after he lost some weight.

bob.dino

I've jumped with someone on a VX 149.

I like itB| any idea what they had for a wingloading?

He was not the smallest guy around. I don't recall the exact wingloading, but it was in a normal VX range for the early-mid-2000s. So probably 1.7-2.0? I vaguely recall him putting the canopy up for sale after he lost some weight. cool thanks for the reply

virgin-burner

*********)

i was under the impression you should be able to order a 305 petra if that was your thing. i'm quite sure you'd get a couple eyebrows lifted your way, but other than that, yes, that's how i understand their marketing.

You'd also be a test pilot.

Aerodynamics don't scale. The in between sizes from some manufacturers are linear scalings AFAIK, and do not fly "true" to their design. This is not much of a problem in the smaller sizes as the change is very small, though when pushing the limits of performance the shortcomings can be more noticeable.

Some manufacturers that do not offer scaling have tuned the design of each size for the most desirable performance traits.

I'd suggest that a 305 Petra, unless tested a tweeked by the factory is going to be a rather unpredictable canopy. :-)

I've owned 4 scaled canopies and their corresponding "factory" sizes.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.