keithbar

should I take a canopy control course?

Been at this a while. Jumped all kinds of stuff. I was at the dz a few weeks back. Amd the subject of canopy course's came up. I said I have never taken one And was kind of interested in doing one. one of my friends laughed out loud . And said dude no one is going to put you through a course on. your crossfire 2 loaded 1.7 plus :P is that true? If so I do have other canopy's
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

Cool I was wondering if he knew what he was talking about
. And if there was a wingloading limit to do a course. I have got close to 500 jumps on it . but I'm a long way from using all of it's performance capabilities.
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

I took the Flight-1 101 and 102 course with JayMo. I had just under 2000 jumps and we had other students with under 25. I thought it would just be a refresher for me. We all learned a hell of a lot.

Can not say enough good stuff about what and how they teach.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

thanks guy I appreciate all the replies. I have no great desire to do big turns. but I would like to use this canopy's unused potential to improve my landing. I wish I could rock a front riser 90 to 120 and let it up. have the canopy plane out naturally right at the correct flare height.
and then standing up would be good too.:$

I just did the Flight-101 (ie., their absolute basics) course on a Stiletto loaded somewhere close to 1.8. I don't have as many jumps as you, but I have a reasonable amount (there was another guy on the course with over 900, plus a range down to 100 or so). I immediately did Flight-102 the next day.

It was eye-opening to say the least, and I whole-heartedly recommend it to anyone. I may actually do both of them again later in the year.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Your friend is whacked!

I learn something or identify a point for improvement every one I take.

I take one every year, even if timing wise it only works out that I am retaking an intro class.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I was looking into Flight1 courses myself and it turns out experienced jumpers can take the 200 series courses, starting at 201 if I remember right, without needing the 100 series courses.

When you sign up they ask for your canopy progression, specific goals and probably some other pertinent into l can't remember right now. So based on what people have said and my emails with the staff l really think they make it worth your while and then some.

...Don't Get Elimated!!

Yes. You are never too old/experienced for a canopy control course, they can and will help people of all experience levels, especially if you have never taken one before.

I used to sit in on as many basic courses as I could while getting swoop coaching and found I learnt new things at every one.

Do it, you will not regret it! :)

JasonYergin

experienced jumpers can take the 200 series courses, starting at 201 if I remember right, without needing the 100 series courses.

There are probably some exceptions (generally people who have done other courses), but I reckon for most of us, the 10x courses are absolutely worth doing anyway. Maybe multiple times ;)

I had been doing "little" swoops for a couple of hundred jumps beforehand, though I stopped last year for whatever reason. I've taken two other canopy courses over my time in the sport. 101 still taught me a great deal. 102 was even better.

(I would love to give 201 and 202 a go, if I can find space on a course. But the point is, most of us shouldn't discount the usefulness of revisiting the absolute basics.)
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

I don't think I've ever heard any canopy instructor discouraging anybody from taking a canopy class. If anything, a higher WL is a reason to take it!

Best money you can spend in the sport.
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.

Thanks for everyone's input. I really appreciate it and I'm going to have to look for a few courses for next summer..B|