basweiler

Hop & Pop definition

Hey,

i want to ask whats your definition of a hop and pop for you especially in this forum.
a lot of people i see doing 6-7 seconds freefall to get enough freefall speed for their opening. i think when u talk here in this forum about a "hop and pop" its that what u mean?

my definition of a h&p is like instantly pull the chute on propwind after 1 second leaving the airplane. i always did this on my crossfire and had good openings.

now i got a velocity and some people tell me i NEED 5-6 seconds, to get enough speed for the opening.

i know that there is the "dead point" between 2-6 seconds, where my relative wind from prop and my freefall speed is very low which can give me a real bad opening with not enough power for opening especially for x-braced canopies.

velo-pilots, tell me what u think about h&p .
pulling directly on propwind after 1 sec, good or bad idea?
or: 1st law of velocity : getting enough freefall speed?

greets :-)

I refer to Hop and Pop if I don't plan on doing anything else but open and fly my canopy. Sometimes if there are more people on the pass it may take e.g. 7 or 8 seconds to get enough separation, but usually it's around 3-4 just to get nice stable position to pull

basweiler

i want to ask whats your definition of a hop and pop for you especially in this forum. a lot of people i see doing 6-7 seconds freefall to get enough freefall speed for their opening. i think when u talk here in this forum about a "hop and pop" its that what u mean?

I think that is close enough, although to me a H&P would be only a few seconds.

i know that there is the "dead point" between 2-6 seconds, where my relative wind from prop and my freefall speed is very low which can give me a real bad opening with not enough power for opening especially for x-braced canopies.

I have never understood this from the viewpoint of a canopy "deploying" (once out of the bag}. The slider controls the canopy spreading and adjusts for airspeed. I have to believe though that numerous people experience worse openings at slower airspeeds. I think it must be bag and line stow issues. Has anyone experienced these kinds of bad opening that went away when they switched to a "stowless" bag?

thats definately correct.
when you are in a 100% correct body position plus a very neat packjob, the airflow/speed is not a discussion worth.

but fact is, that with less airflow ( and u need airflow for opening a parachute ) the pressure and strength on the opening sequence is less too. i think more pressure compensate a bad body position and issues on line stows.

what i mean is :
same packjob with big linestows:

with more airspeed i have a fast and strength opening sequence where my packing mistakes are made up .

with low airspeed (especially on h&p) my mistakes have a lot more chances to creat a 180 degree spin or something.

on h&p where i pull the chute after 2 seconds, the canopy definately snivels and inflates when i am in the airflow-less area.
so i cant change my bodyposition issues and the canopy is defered a not 100% neat packjob.

bingo!
pull right out of the door OR wait 5+ seconds to reach terminal velocity. If you pull after 2-3 seconds, airspeed is too low so deployment is not stable, you can get twists, turns, snivels, etc.

Most static line progression programs incorporate 1 or more 3-sec delay freefalls. I know mine did, but I do not recall any adverse openings as a result?

Erroll

***bingo!
pull right out of the door OR wait 5+ seconds to reach terminal velocity. If you pull after 2-3 seconds, airspeed is too low so deployment is not stable, you can get twists, turns, snivels, etc.

Most static line progression programs incorporate 1 or more 3-sec delay freefalls. I know mine did, but I do not recall any adverse openings as a result?

I call BS on this one as well. I toss right out the door. I've got plenty of PC hesitation but never a bad opening from tossing PC under 2 sec.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016