Twitch_13

Conflicting Advise on going elliptical vs downsizing

I am a small dude. I weigh about 135 and have been riding a 135 sabre1 for just over a hundred jumps. I've been doing 180 front risers approaches for the last 50. I;ve been looking for something with a little more performance. I was thinking a sabre2 120 but I have had several people tell me to go elliptical first before dropping in size any further. I was under the impression do to my lower numbers i should not get an elliptical but the advice i have been getting is because of my small size it would be safer to make the switch to an elliptical while on bigger canopies. I have also had a couple people mention I would be fine going to a 120 eliptical. I'm looking for the next logical step where I can continue to advance my piloting skills as hp landings is the discipline i am pursuing. I looking for solid advice. I want to develop skill here in the best possible way, not just look cool under a small canopy.

Thanks.
Boredom's not a burden anyone should bare

Twitch_13

I am a small dude. I weigh about 135 and have been riding a 135 sabre1 for just over a hundred jumps. I've been doing 180 front risers approaches for the last 50. I;ve been looking for something with a little more performance. I was thinking a sabre2 120 but I have had several people tell me to go elliptical first before dropping in size any further. I was under the impression do to my lower numbers i should not get an elliptical but the advice i have been getting is because of my small size it would be safer to make the switch to an elliptical while on bigger canopies. I have also had a couple people mention I would be fine going to a 120 eliptical. I'm looking for the next logical step where I can continue to advance my piloting skills as hp landings is the discipline i am pursuing. I looking for solid advice. I want to develop skill here in the best possible way, not just look cool under a small canopy.

Thanks.

Have you completed a canopy course? How 'bout a course with a focus on performance flight?

Your profile indicates you have about 150 jumps. If that's correct you are in a danger zone and would only go deeper by downsizing or moving to an elliptical.

My advice is to stay where you are and seek coaching and guidance from a top-shelf performance piloting coach before doing anything. Not the hottest swooper you know, but a true professional that does it for a living.

If you want to swoop like a pro get educated by one.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

chuckakers

***I am a small dude. I weigh about 135 and have been riding a 135 sabre1 for just over a hundred jumps. I've been doing 180 front risers approaches for the last 50. I;ve been looking for something with a little more performance. I was thinking a sabre2 120 but I have had several people tell me to go elliptical first before dropping in size any further. I was under the impression do to my lower numbers i should not get an elliptical but the advice i have been getting is because of my small size it would be safer to make the switch to an elliptical while on bigger canopies. I have also had a couple people mention I would be fine going to a 120 eliptical. I'm looking for the next logical step where I can continue to advance my piloting skills as hp landings is the discipline i am pursuing. I looking for solid advice. I want to develop skill here in the best possible way, not just look cool under a small canopy.

Thanks.

Have you completed a canopy course? How 'bout a course with a focus on performance flight?

Your profile indicates you have about 150 jumps. If that's correct you are in a danger zone and would only go deeper by downsizing or moving to an elliptical.

My advice is to stay where you are and seek coaching and guidance from a top-shelf performance piloting coach before doing anything. Not the hottest swooper you know, but a true professional that does it for a living.

If you want to swoop like a pro get educated by one.

I think it's an interesting question and different to the typical downsize ones.

A sabre 1 is a fairly docile beast and from his post I would think that it makes sense to switch to an elliptical plan form (even a Sabre 2) is quite a good improvement before going any smaller.

*not disputing that a canopy course is a great idea
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

nigel99

I would think that it makes sense to switch to an elliptical plan form (even a Sabre 2) is quite a good improvement before going any smaller.

I suspect that was not what the OP meant by "elliptical" though.

At a couple of hundred jumps and starting to learn to swoop, I think chuckakers said everything that needed to be said, and more gently than some might.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

I think what might have been advised to the OP is that they should consider what many people consider a semi-elliptical (ie tapered corners) canopy (eg, Safire 2) at the same size before downsizing, which is good advice as they will turn more easily at the same wingloading.

Obviously coaching is key - I'm a little concerned at someone with 150 skydives doing 180 front riser turns though; bit too soon for that.
--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13