skow

Speed vs. wingload

I was wondering if there's some formula that could be used to calculate speed of the canopy based on wingloading of the canopy?

Of course that differs based on many factors like canopy structure (x-braced etc.), RDS, pilot's size, clothing etc. etc. But if the same shaped object would be hanged from the canopy can we say that for 'x' WL the speed of e.g. Sabre2 flying straight in full flight would approx. be 'y'?

So what he's saying is (I have no idea if he's right BTW) then: you will be travelling 1.11 times as fast as you would on the same canopy design loaded at 1.0.

Loaded at 2.0, you'd be travelling 1.41 times as fast.

Of course, "travelling" is not the only thing canopies do - in particular, they turn and they dive and otherwise accelerate, which is where high loadings really kick in I guess.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Not that it helps in your particular case...but in LeBlanc's BPA presentation a comparison was done between a Pulse 150 and a Katana 150 at about your wingloading. It was pretty eye opening...and the speeds were pretty high. It was the combined vertical and horizontal speed (remember...you don't hit the ground with your forward speed...). I think the KA was something close to 50 mph and 1700+ fpm descent in full flight.

IIRC it was in the last third of the presentation. I think it was called the two paths of canopy progression or something. Like I said...doesn't answer your question really but it is a good watch. About an hour total, if I remember.