1 1
peedeepalmer

VELO openings with RDS

When you're expecting help on this issue you should consider giving all the information... :S
Canopy size, wl, type(manufacturer) of rds, what kind of jumps, slider size original vs RDS...
FWIW the PD RDS for the Velo/VC is a bit smaller and only designed for hopnpops... Are you jumping a PD-RDS?

-------------------------------------------------------

To absent friends

If it is a PD RDS-

It is recommended for only sub terminal.

I thought I knew better, and jumped one terminal anyway and had significantly more brisk openings.

The reason- The PD RDS Slider is SMALLER than the standard slider by several inches. Put the old slider back on and it will fix your problem. Some others make RDS sliders that are larger, but the PD made RDS slider is in fact significantly smaller than the standard slider.

PD Stock/RDS Sliders are same size (19" x 23"). Difference is the distance of grommets set in corner vs. rings being outside corners. Taking RDS to terminal is not recommended on a Velo, but it does work. Sometimes it hurts if the slider isn't perfectly placed during packing.

-Harry
"Sometimes you eat the bar,
and well-sometimes the bar eats you..."

I have a few hundred VC84 (2.0:1) and 50 or so on a VE90 (1.9:1) with Thrill-Inc's Chupacabra removable. The openings are fast at terminal, for sure but I didn't find them painful and I certainly wouldn't call them "slammers". PD definitely doesn't recommend it though and for that exact reason.

I'm sure the grommets being on the outside vs inside is a big part of it. I remember when I put my RDS slider on top of my standard slider...i was very surprised and had a "well, there's your problem" moment when thinking about the faster openings. The amount of fabric is significantly different. As I remember it is 2 inches on one side, and one on the other?

I have over 1000 Velo openings with an RDS, probably more than half of those at terminal. Not a single issue. PD recommends against it, however, I like being able to take my slider off instead of stowing it behind me.

I'd think there is another issue enhancing the 'positive' openings on your velo.
Losers make excuses, Winners make it happen
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.

After comp 4 at Raeford I did three freefly jumps on my newly relined (500 Vectran) Comp 84 @ 2.6. Three slammer openings and two of them went right into line twists which I was able to kick out of with altitude to spare. Any pointers for packing a Comp for terminal?

My comp velo 84, loaded about the same, I had relined with HMA 400's. So I can't speak to the Vectran line set.

However, I never used the snaps. Simply quartered the slider, wrapped the tail with 2-3 locking twists close to the slider to keep it up and laid it down. I had a typical stowed mirage bag. Never had a slammer. I used the comp velo 84 frequently for work (AFF and some camera). During that setup, I just used the removable slider.

I put the full RDS on for comps and practice, but I didn't notice much of a difference in terms of openings. I always considered the openings positive (compared to the safire/crossfire lines I progressed from) but certainly never hard.
Losers make excuses, Winners make it happen
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.

angryelf

PD Stock/RDS Sliders are same size (19" x 23"). Difference is the distance of grommets set in corner vs. rings being outside corners. Taking RDS to terminal is not recommended on a Velo, but it does work. Sometimes it hurts if the slider isn't perfectly placed during packing.

-Harry

I don't think this is accurate...my stock velo slider was 2" deeper in the chord than the PD RDS...
Dudeist Skydiver #0511

I put a couple hundred jumps on a standard velo 96 WL 2.0 with an RDS-slider and to be honest the openings wasn't good. Once in a while it would be fine but most of them would smack open. I don't know what manufacturer made the slider, but definately not PD.
Right now I'm jumping a comp velo 90 with an RDS and here the story is completely different. It opens quick, but not hard which is exactly how I like it.

I've been jumping a Comp Velo 103 @ 2.3 with the PD RDS Slider, almost always to terminal, with lots of cameras, and with no issues to date.

I pack neatly. That might help. Or the larger size Velo might make the difference (though I'm not sure why, as the one-size-fits-all PD slider is proportionally smaller on the larger canopies).

Knowing PD recommends against it, I started with hop & pops and moved on to progressively longer delays till I established that I had no issues going to full terminal with the arrangement.

If you're looking for a velo rds in a suitable size for consistent terminal openings contact Frank at Lookma paraphernalia. He will build the size you need. Fastest and easiest reattachment system IMO, I jumped PD, Icarus and Lookma RDS so far.
He also offers to take the slider back if the openings are still not as you desire and build you a new one in an adapted size free of charge.

I found the openings of my two VC 84, one with larger sized lookma rds, the other one with PD rds, to be quite moody.
Sometimes a whole weekend can pass with only soft and snively openings, 30 jumps in a row. And sometimes every second opening is brisk and makes me wish to win the lottery so that I can buy two Valkyries :$
I pack for myself and try to pack as neatly as possible, maybe that is the problem ;)

-------------------------------------------------------

To absent friends

CTSkydiver

(though I'm not sure why, as the one-size-fits-all PD slider is proportionally smaller on the larger canopies).

We have done some experimenting with different size removable sliders on various cross-braced canopies and came to the conclusion that sliders can be too big. If the rings are too far apart it allows the canopy to spread and inflate more quickly before the slider comes down.

So in conclusion the proportionally smaller slider on your bigger canopy will be restricting the inflation somewhat more than it will on a smaller canopy.

Pobrause

If you're looking for a velo rds in a suitable size for consistent terminal openings contact Frank at Lookma paraphernalia. He will build the size you need. Fastest and easiest reattachment system IMO, I jumped PD, Icarus and Lookma RDS so far.
He also offers to take the slider back if the openings are still not as you desire and build you a new one in an adapted size free of charge.

I found the openings of my two VC 84, one with larger sized lookma rds, the other one with PD rds, to be quite moody.
Sometimes a whole weekend can pass with only soft and snively openings, 30 jumps in a row. And sometimes every second opening is brisk and makes me wish to win the lottery so that I can buy two Valkyries :$
I pack for myself and try to pack as neatly as possible, maybe that is the problem ;)

The last I knew, Frank from Lookma isn't selling in-air components to the U.S. because it's too much of a liability in a sue-happy country.

I've been eyeballing fluid wings RDS slider which matches the dimensions of the VK/VE factory sliders. Anybody have an experience with these?

http://www.fluidwings.com/#!Removable-Sliders/cifd/5665d8e60cf2a72d69b6e935

skydivah1

I've been eyeballing fluid wings RDS slider which matches the dimensions of the VK/VE factory sliders. Anybody have an experience with these?

People tell me you get used to the 4 grommet per corner attachment and, it gets faster but for me, Fluid's slider attachment is the most fiddly. I've jumped PD, NZA and Thrill Inc. in addition to Fluid's system on a helix.

this is terminal openings with a 23x31 slider i made for my velo. works great at terminal and subterminal. have someone make you a 23x31 slider. Had another local jumper having slammers on his 79 and i made him a larger slider and its been all good since... The PD rds' are made to speed up subterminal openings so theyre rough at terminal.
heres some openings of my ve103 with the 23x31
https://youtu.be/VvlhDyXtHEQ
I was that kid jumping out if his tree house with a bed sheet. My dad wouldn't let me use the ladder to try the roof...

Alexg3265

this is terminal openings with a 23x31 slider i made for my velo. works great at terminal and subterminal. have someone make you a 23x31 slider. Had another local jumper having slammers on his 79 and i made him a larger slider and its been all good since... The PD rds' are made to speed up subterminal openings so theyre rough at terminal.
heres some openings of my ve103 with the 23x31
https://youtu.be/VvlhDyXtHEQ

Looks like the slider gets hung up quite often. Might want to try pulling down on the fronts instead of the rears. It was a suggestion Greg Windmiller made in a video recently and it works pretty well. Nice looking velo btw.