skydivebb

VK slider

luis

in addition to bounce - anyone having slider hangups? The slider is standard PD RDS.

..just to give credit where due!
My complaint about slider hangups was taken seriously by PD. They sent me new rings and lineset, suggested different brake setting to try, and after that didn't help - took it back for testing. Apparently the result was inconclusive, ... so they just sent me a new canopy B| I could even ask for a different size. Very, very impressive!
Oh, and the hangups are gone. Also, almost no bounce with RDS slider.

Agree, on mine the drag of the pc seems to slow down the slider's descent enough to make for smooth openings similar to the stock slider. With just the removable slider they were too brisk.
Life is ez
On the dz
Every jumper's dream
3 rigs and an airstream

Titanman2789

For what it's worth, terminal openings with full RDS have been better for me than with just the removable slider. VK 71 loaded at 2.8

I've had the same experience but was told that this will vary depending on the size of the wing (slider size relative to wing size).

A friend sent me Greg Windmiller's video about VK openings, it recommended using the front risers to bring down the slider when hung up. I tried this yesterday and worked like a charm.
Life is ez
On the dz
Every jumper's dream
3 rigs and an airstream

For anyone who wants to see the video: https://www.facebook.com/gwindmiller/videos/10153385873067702/?pnref=story

Using the fronts is far more effective (than rears) at getting the slider to stop 'flapping' immediately.

Make sure you do this asap, as letting it flap around will cause more wear on the lines.

Just to let you know..
I Had trouble with my standard VK slider on my vk 79 for about 20 jumps, couldnt reach it most of the times. Kept flapping up It sucked, got in contact with PD, they told me they dont reconmend rds slider for terminal jumps tried it anyway and this solves the problem for sure , awesome openings slider waits a bit up then comes down, even over the toggles by itself.
Question, still have a rds slider for a comp velo 79, does it also fit a 84 ? There was something using the same size slider for 2 sizes wings. Anyone ? Thanks

skymeat

Question, still have a rds slider for a comp velo 79, does it also fit a 84 ? There was something using the same size slider for 2 sizes wings. Anyone ? Thanks

PD uses the 'one size fits all' approach when it comes to slider sizes. So your VC-RDS is a Vk-RDS is disguise and you should be fine using it on all VK-sizes.
Check links below and measure for yourself if in doubt.

http://performancedesigns.com/docs/linetrims/VC-071-111-Line-Trim-Chart.pdf

http://performancedesigns.com/docs/linetrims/VK_LTC.pdf
-------------------------------------------------------

To absent friends

skow

***got in contact with PD, they told me they dont reconmend rds slider for terminal jumps

Did they say why?

They said is was not designed for terminal openings. I dont have the feeling my openings are faster now, but I only have 6 jumps with the rds slider.

Dan's note above is correct. I also thought I knew better with my Velo years ago. Figured I wasn't jumping the full RDS, just the slider so I should be fine. My openings were pretty snappy at times. I talked to my friend at PD and he pointed out that it is smaller.

I laid my stock slider over the RDS Slider...and the difference was significant. I want to say like 2-3 inches on one side, and 1-2 inches on the other. "There is your problem!" I put the stock slider back on, and openings went back to being great.

I jump the removable slider on my VK and my VC, the openings are fast but not unpleasant.

The more detailed explanation, as I understand it, is that the slider size, including rings is fixed based on the design. Taking into account the line type and a bunch of other factors, you don't want to make the removable slider larger in area (remember, rings are included) than the drawstring as that'll impact openings and require more testing, etc. If you lay your draw string slider on top of a removable with *the rings attached* the rings for both should be lined up correctly.

I think Fluid are the only canopy manufacturer making removable sliders specifically for terminal openings; I believe they don't have a draw string slider for the Helix so, the openings tend to be a little slower in my experience.

I like quicker openings on high performance canopies, less time for my body position to screw everything up. :DB|