danielcroft

FlySight mount for swooping

I know a bunch of people use a FlySight for training purposes and, since I just got one, I wanted to know where people mount theirs for swooping. I run a full face and want to continue to do so. I've seen the cookie mount and also the one on the gSwoop page. I also bought gSwoop.

Any other suggestions? I think I remember hearing someone say they could mount the FlySight inside their G3 but wasn't sure if that was a thing and how much (if at all) it'd affect signal.

Thanks in advance.

danielcroft

I know a bunch of people use a FlySight for training purposes and, since I just got one, I wanted to know where people mount theirs for swooping. I run a full face and want to continue to do so. I've seen the cookie mount and also the one on the gSwoop page. I also bought gSwoop.

Any other suggestions? I think I remember hearing someone say they could mount the FlySight inside their G3 but wasn't sure if that was a thing and how much (if at all) it'd affect signal.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.amazon.com/Professional-Premium-Grade-Gaffer-Gafferpower%C2%AE/dp/B00GZE3UJ8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431716937&sr=8-1&keywords=gaffers+tape

Internal mounting depends on how tight the helmet is and how much room you have in the helmet. You will have to turn it on and off each flight which could be a pain in the ass. The plastic helmet should not have any issues on maintaining GPS lock. I would suggest using the aluminum(aluminium) mount that bolts onto the exterior. Open you visor fully, then mount the flysight just beyond.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

lyosha

Not a good color, I have to match. :D

monkycndo

Internal mounting depends on how tight the helmet is and how much room you have in the helmet. You will have to turn it on and off each flight which could be a pain in the ass. The plastic helmet should not have any issues on maintaining GPS lock. I would suggest using the aluminum(aluminium) mount that bolts onto the exterior. Open you visor fully, then mount the flysight just beyond.

My camera is back there, I guess I'll try it in my helmet and see if it works there and then worry about a mount.

Just use the cookie mount. It's light plastic and work fine. Been using it for a while now. It need to be mounted away from the GoPro. I have been told it causes interference. Mounting inside is not a good idea. You need access to it so you can turn it on. I usually turn mine on about 2 min before exit and never had a problem.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Thanks for everyone's feedback, it's appreciated. I've ordered the cookie mount and hope to find a good spot on my helmet for it. If not, a friend suggested putting it on a mudflap altimeter mount which might work but I guess I'll have to just try to figure it out.

Super-easy to sew together a little container and strap to put it on your upper arm.
Works for wingsuiting and swooping.
No need to drill more holes in your helmet and makes it easy to slip on and off for when you want to hook it up to your laptop or whatever.
Any rigger can knock one up easy if you haven't learned to sew yet.

That's actually brilliant!

Just came to my mind. How about mounting it in the same spot as Skytie ( or whatever the magnetic thing to keep your slider down is called) i.e. on the upper reserve flap?

EDIT: Also, how far should flysight be from GoPro not to cause interference? I have mine about 10 cm (or slightly less) and seems to work fine. At least the results seems ok.
How the interference could be noticed? Loss of connection to satelites? Corrupted data?

You can generally get a good idea how "clean" your GPS data is by looking at the flight path plots and the dive speeds plot. There should not be a lot of missing samples and they should look fairly smooth with the rollout finishing at ground level. Any discontinuities, particularly in the dive speeds plot, should be regarded with suspicion. There is also a plot of GPS accuracy that you can look at. It shows the number of satellites, horizontal position accuracy, vertical position accuracy, and speed accuracy during the dive and swoop. The accuracy figures are just estimates provided by the GPS and are not reliable indications of error. However, lower values are associated with better data. I usually see horz/vert position accuracy of around 2 feet and speed accuracy of around 0.5 mph. The number of satellites varies between jumps but I have seen it as high as 14.

That's an interesting idea too. Would make it a bit fiddly but not impossible to switch on without a helper.
Woild prob be unsuitable if using earphones though (the arm strap makes it simple to thread the earphone cable up your sleeve from either inside wingsuit or under your T-shirt or whatever)