skydivebb

N3. Density altitude vs. Pressure altitude (QNE)

Has anyone found a usage for the QNE info on the N3? I have been reading on relationships between the different readings and wonder if it is something that is more/less valuable than density altitude or should be used in conjunction with. Is there a relationship between the two that is useful for hp landings? The mechanics of swooping post was very informative and hopefully this one will be too. Any info to clarify this would be appreciated.
Facebook.com/SeamlessRigging

It is really quite different to density altitude.

QNE relates to pressure altitude. I am guessing that the setting on the N3 is to allow you to enter the local pressure which can be obtained from AWOS. QNE is how it referred to outside of the US and it is in millbars(mbar). In the US it is measured in inches of mercury (inHg). I don't know which the N3 expects but it probably changes if you flip between metric and imperial.

Density Altitude takes Pressure Altitude and adjusts for temperature and humidity. It isn't an altitude you are at but a "performance" altitude. It does indeed make a difference to canopy and wingsuit performance so you are onto a valid direction there.
Summer Rental special, 5 weeks for the price of 4! That is $160 a month.

Try before You Buy with Wicked Wingsuits - WingsuitRental.com

I should add, if you have access to AWOS it will probably tell you the density altitude without having to get a calculator out, at least it does at most airports where it starts to make a big difference! ;)

Thanks for your response. I haven't looked into if its programmable but that's something to look at. I have always based my flights off of density altitude but recently started using GPS and found that the data makes a huge difference. If anyone finds a use for the Pressure Altitude numbers I'd be interested to hear it.
Facebook.com/SeamlessRigging

skydivebb

Thanks for your response. I haven't looked into if its programmable but that's something to look at. I have always based my flights off of density altitude but recently started using GPS and found that the data makes a huge difference. If anyone finds a use for the Pressure Altitude numbers I'd be interested to hear it.

In Wingsuit comps we have found pressure altitude on audibles to be unreliable by 100's of feet, but that is at 10000ft where temp difference play a role also. In most scenarios it's not an error that creates a safety issue but it just impact scoring.

As you compare GPS data to N3 data you might see the same.