cs_troyk

My evil little princess, Leia 66.6

My new princess, Leia 66.6, arrived last week and I had a chance to jump her over the weekend. I got the sail internals as an option, and jumped with full RDS. Initial impressions...

Exit weight 250 lbs., wingloading 3.75, field altitude of DZ = 5400 ft (1645 meters).

All openings were great - on heading and well-staged (all hop 'n pops). Easy control the canopy during housekeeping (RDS + cheststrap).

Very easy and responsive front risers. Very responsive to harness - I'd put it this way; you simply "think" about which way you want the canopy to go, and it responds.

One thing that's different about these Schuemann-inspired wings is that in the shallow part of a single toggle input, the canopy will actually turn in the opposite direction. It seems the lift created by the input overpowers the drag for about the first 1/4 of the stroke, which causes that side of the canopy to lift relative to the other, and therefore turn the other way.

Compared to a Petra 72 (w/l ~3.5), also jumped this weekend, I found this "opposite turn" phenomenon to be more pronounced on the Leia.

Riser turns on the 66.6 are, as expected, extremely snappy. I find it easier to counter the turns on Leia than on the slightly larger Petra, which wants to keep going.

Recovery arc seems to have a wide range to work with. I was doing a carving 270 (light front to initiate, harness for the rest) from 1200 feet and that was just about right.

Flare is awesome - tons to work with even at this wingloading.

On the first jump, I exited almost last (before a couple of wingsuiters). There were a couple fun-jumper groups and then some tandems before me. I opened out the door, played a bit with the canopy to get a feel for her (nothing exceptionally radical), and was the 3rd person from the load to land.

Next jump, I did a "casual" test for vertical descent and easily hit 110 MPH vertical, about 120 total velocity vector. Rotations are much quicker than when I did the same on my VX74; about 1.8 sec./rotation vs. 2.4 sec./rotation. I didn't perceive as many G's, though. People on the ground said it looked like a radical spinning mal. I'll get more instrumentation to figure out exactly how much I can build up.

All-in-all, a super-fun specialty canopy. Looking forwad to getting more wings like her in my fleet!