cmulli4

Valkyrie 67 demo first jumps

Regardless of his motives for using his technique he is still an ambassador for the sport, just like many of us are, whether he likes it or not. Like I said, the swoops are impressive, but flying like that might give new jumpers a wrong image of how to fly your canopy.

Maybe it is fun for Charlie going in the corner and digging out every time, but come on.. Since when was that OK just because it's fun?

ianmdrennan

Do you think in a million years I'd take coaching from you? Seriously? That is so fucking funny. First, I have a coach, second...well...I'll do the right thing here and say nothing.

As I suggested, I can point you in the direction of a few world champs I know who'll be happy to coach you. Doesn't have to be me by any means ;)

Ian

Now that it's vacant, I'll be happy to take Charlie's slot ;)

Maybe he does it because it's fun.

Is that still allowed?

Never argued it wasn't. As I said in an earlier post, to each his own. Charlie can do whatever turn he wants as long as the only one he endangers is himself. He's a grown man and I am not the swoop police.

I just have a natural curiosity as to why people do what they do. I might have missed out on something after all. I find power and control fun and enjoy when I max that out as well as I am capable. Charlie is more of a showman and there's room for both types in my world.

This post has turned disgusting. The video was awesome to see the vk in action, probably one of the best current ones of it being rung out and truly tested. Its sad to see in such a small community people being so negative and hateful.
Charlie is a great canopy pilot and so are other folks on this forum, no one should be putting anybody down for their personal style. I also want to say to see a factory team guy be so hateful and ridiculing disturbs me your supposed to be professional at all times end of story. To the people who just sit on here and stir the pot get a life try skydiving some time instead of judging. Let's get back to having fun and swooping our butts off instead of trying to demean and put people down that we are either jealous of or wish we had half the talent of. To charlie, I hope you choose to compete and out swoop all your nay sayers it would be your sweetest revenge...
He who hesitates shall inherit the earth

scrub

. To the people who just sit on here and stir the pot get a life try skydiving some time instead of judging.

Not trying to stir the pot. I have some jumps on the Valkyrie-75 so I guess I have tried skydiving a little. I guess I better prove it so here's a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkKvW5tEdM4

I am not that good of a canopy pilot and there are tons of things I need to correct. Still, these two jumps (zone acc and distance) show how much potential this canopy has.

If someone like me can get these results, it kind of speaks for itself.

I also want to say to see a factory team guy be so hateful and ridiculing disturbs me your supposed to be professional at all times end of story.

Sorry you feel that way. I stand by my words, and my observation. I don't recall ridiculing Charlie in any way (sorry if you interpret my assessment of the "love tap" video as otherwise), even when I was personally insulted on numerous occasions.

If you care - Charlie, and I, have already discussed this and we're good - there's no hard feelings there. He totally understands where I was coming from, and I totally understand why he thought I was attacking him. BOTH of us realize that there was miscommunication, and again neither of us have our panties in a bunch.

If you'd like to PM me, and discuss where you feel I was hateful, I'd love to clarify any comments you may have misconstrued.

Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

ianmdrennan

Nick developed techniques that people were laughing at then.

Not to my recollection. I don't remember ANYONE laughing at Nick for his techniques. He did, however, emulate the top pilots and then took what they were doing a step further. Exactly the same thing Curt has done, incredibly effectively.

In Charlies video, it sounds like he clips something "love tap"....am I off base on that? That is where my judgement comment came from, not the turn (or the toggle stab).

Demo'ing a new wing (and design), small canopy, no outs, stunt swoop AND clips something. Yes, to me, that's questionable judgement.

Ian
ps: I've certainly made my fair share of stupid decisions, but I own them too.

Clipped the fence of the pool with his foot IIRC correctly, I was standing there.

Scared the shit outta me I remember that.

Badass video though, I'll watch it :)

Charlie, you still fly like a toggle monkey. ;)

Get in touch with me and let me know when your jumping and where. I will make a trip to come make some jumps with you. It's been a few years.

Some people analyze everything their parachute does and others fly by the seat of their pants.

Hi Charlie, stoked to see the video of you flying canopies. Real good to see you having it your way flying the little wings. We met back in the 90's and were both hookturn whores back then. You have your way of flying, I have my way, these young'ns seem to be having a good time figuring it out too. Funny to read the curiousity comments on this thread Whuffo you do that turn'n like that? Whuffo you don't do it like the newbies? Whuffo you don't be setting world records? Whuffo you not being trained by a World Champion? Charlie, here's my opinion : enjoy your flight. We made it through the days during the inception of sub 120 sq ft wings and the banned years, and the USPA acknowledgement that this type of parachute flying is here to stay. Be the 'ambassador' 'role model' 'teacher' 'competitor' if you want to, it's your choice no one elses and there is no need to give a reason nor advice on how to or how come. There is plenty of jumpers who like to do the 'ambassador role model teacher competitor' deal. Play hard Charlie!
....... For the rest of you, go practice doing YOUR thing......
By the way Charlie, what's your wing loading? Nevermind, like one of your parachute makers mentioned a few years ago, 'these newbies throw around wing loading like it's their cock size'. I said 'and sells parachutes'. And we laughed and laughed.
Skydiving is fun.