cmulli4

Valkyrie 67 demo first jumps

The one in the corner is funny
"Don't blame malice for what stupidity can explain."

"In our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart and in our despair, against our will comes wisdom" - Aeschylus

OzzieDave

what is that lanyard on the brake line and how does it work? Guessing it is a guide ring but I can't work out how it is helpful?

Cheers

Dave

I was going to ask the same thing after seeing the video.

Never seen anything like that before, so would be interesting to find out what it is for.

My first guess would be its the brake line guide ring that is usually sewn on the risers, but here it is not sewn on. What effect that has, I've no idea...
Sky Switches - Affordable stills camera tongue switches and conversion adaptors, supporting various brands of camera (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic).

OzzieDave

what is that lanyard on the brake line and how does it work? Guessing it is a guide ring but I can't work out how it is helpful?

Cheers

Dave

Probably akin to the 3rd riser set-up I used to use.

It allows the brake lines to remain further outboard than when the guide ring is mounted on the rear risers, so the brakes are pulled less "inward" and helps keep the canopy flatter.

Notice on the attached screen shot the brake line never goes through a guide ring on the rear riser.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Think you are right. Looks like triple risers. You don't see them much anymore, and some packers freak out when they see them. Basically the keeper ring has it's own riser, instead of being attached to the rear. The pull on the tail is more directly down (similar to base setups that dont' go through the keeper) instead of in a triangle from your hands, to the rears then out to the tail.

only pic i could find http://galleryplus.ebayimg.com/ws/web/321638926629_1_2_1.jpg

I have only jumped triple risers a couple times, and that was years ago on a non cross braced canopy. I remember that they felt odd at the time, very "loose" feeling.

My question is, what are the downsides to jumping triple risers? I know they aren't cool anymore, but with us wanting to get get the canopy flat and having everything as wide as possible, they seem to be a good idea. It doesn't seem like they would get in the way when getting on rears.

Again it has been years since I have used them, so I am genuinely asking what the downsides to using trips are.

Willi91

Impressive swoops, but I have never in my life seen anyone use that technique in their turns

Charlie has been doing that 90 270 since the mid 90's that I know of. I learned a little something from him back then. At that time I even jumped his 98 Batwing, I was about 240 then without a rig. And no I did not fly it like he did, I jumped it on a breezy day and barely did a 90. He could always get a lot of speed on that turn.

Sorry. I'm going to be the one to say it...

The swooping is awesome - it really is. But buzzing objects and spectator areas is super uncool.

Good to see we haven't learnt anything from a USPA safety director hospitalizing someone doing exactly the same thing... [:/]

Maybe it was just my interpretation, but given the multiple camera angles and "spectator" footage used in the video, I got the impression that the spectators were in on it, and that was all part of the plan of the swoop. I didn't get the impression they were genuine spectators who knew nothing of it...
Sky Switches - Affordable stills camera tongue switches and conversion adaptors, supporting various brands of camera (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic).

I'm sure you're right. Or at the very least they've seen him do it a thousand times before.

But that's the easy bit...

It's the random visitor to the DZ who's not supposed to be in between the generators but is anyway for some stupid reason, or the in-on-it spectator who sees a spider on his bench and moves at the last second that cause those kind of accidents.

They're ridiculous examples, but they serve a point. You can't plan for the randomness of people.

'Hey guys. Sit there and I'll swoop through you' is a bad idea. It looks fantastic, particularly in slow mo. But that doesn't make it any less of a bad idea, no matter how good a pilot you are.

By all means, go big. But do it away from spectators, or at the very least, with clear lanes marked.

I know. I'm the typical dz.com no-fun-nazi. [:/]

The flying is sick. I love it. I just think it might be displaying some poor decision making.

dqpacker

Triple risers and 180 one way to 270 back... what is it 1998 again.

He was one of the OG swoopers. Around that time, he was the kid with tons of jumps (at like 16 years old?) jumping a cross braced 69sq ft Icarus. When the "badasses" were jumping stilettos at 1.4 to 1, and 97's were considered crazy small wings..... the pics of him swooping the ditches under what I think was a white with blue crossbraced FX 69 at over 2:1 was the talk of may bonfires at DZs around the country.

Hello,

I appreciate you being conservative and your insight into swooping/my video. And I agree, it should be safe, thats the goal right? Im sure we have both seen more bad things than we wish to remember. Normally, I don’t feel compelled to explain myself, however, I am bored, and I feel that you are on the fence between coolness and safety. I’d like to help you be more informed so that I can hopefully help you understand more of the coolness side and be more informed.

Let me be the first to say that I am very concerned about safety. I stress about alot of things in skydiving. I guess just trying to stay alive after seeing enough shit over 26 years of jumping. You would be surprised if you knew me how many things I won’t do anymore.

The building you see in the video.. I started swooping that 15 years ago. I started at 50 ft from the building and now I’m at around 2-3 ft. This has been a big undertaking for so many years. I know exactly where the burbles are at any given wind speed and direction on that building. Funny thing is, the building next to the pool (much smaller) puts off a hell of alot worse burble than the big hangar. Go figure…

I’ll try to put this in layman terms. High speed is good, low speed is bad. I know that if any person sees a spider, or, for that matter decides to jump up and down on the table or starts doing jumping jacks at the last second…well, no problem. I know its hard for you to understand, but think about your car at 60 mph, turns really fast right? How well can you avoid an object at 2 mph? Not very well. Now, in all fairness, I guess it is possible that I could die of a heart attack in the middle of a hook, but Joe Blow could also die while driving his car and end up killing you in a head-on crash. In any case I have hooked over that building approximately 7,000 times. Thats not total jumps, thats hooks over THAT building. I have thought about every possible scenario. What if I hit the building? According to my calculations my body would clear the spectators.

We can’t plan for everything, we can just do our best.

Those aren’t generators, however they do look like them.

Point is, I look out for my own and for safety. If we are hurting people then its not a good thing.

As far as the USPA guy…that title means nothing as far how good of a swooper you are. Its like saying US Senators can swoop. Maybe some of them can, but…not likely. I have no idea who that was, however I can guarantee you he wasn’t someone who should have been doing what he was doing.

The real test is people like myself, and top swoopers who are better than myself, you don’t see them hurting people.

I hope I helped, in any case swoopers are not trying to create bad blood. Please let me know if I can answer any more questions.

Cheers,

Charlie Mullins