raymod2

gSwoop 2.0

Can you elaborate how gswoop exactly determines
a) start and end of rollout?
b) time aloft during swoop?

And does it make any difference if you have the gates data set?

Also another question, 2G or 4G mode for the acceleration?
Is 2G enough?

//Mikko

Hi, Mikko. Did you read my previous post on the subject (post #22)?

1) The start of the rollout is the point where your vertical speed begins to monotonically decrease. "Monotonic" means that every GPS point during the rollout has a slower vertical speed than the previous point.

2) The end of the rollout is 1 meter above the point where level flight is achieved. The first GPS point during the rollout where the height is the same or higher than the previous point marks the transition to level flight. The algorithm in gSwoop seeks back through the rollout until it finds where the height was 1 meter above level flight.

3) The time aloft during swoop is how much time elapsed between the end of the rollout and the estimated touchdown.

These three metrics are independent of the gate location. You can open and close the gate and you shouldn't see any change to them.

Regarding 2G and 4G: I have seen similar results between these two settings. You will see slightly smoother plots using 2G. I have been using 4G in 10 Hz mode myself. If you are comparing your data to others it is probably more important that you both use the same settings since the setting might affect your peak speeds.

My assumption about how the gate is determined is way off. I understand that 0 on the x-axis is the gate, and originally, I was thinking that without me defining a gate that anytime I may be X feet off the ground that would be gate. So without defining gate parameters, how does the software determine where the gate is at? I provided a sample of one of my swoops. Entry gate speed shows it as 40.9 mph and when opening it up in Google Earth, I do see a gate marker on the ground.

exited airplane: 13881 ft AGL
initiated turn: 530 ft AGL, 29 ft back, -524 ft offset
max vertical speed: 148 ft AGL, 235 ft back, -36 ft offset (51.7 mph)
started rollout: 148 ft AGL, 235 ft back, -36 ft offset (51.7 mph)
finished rollout: 7 ft AGL, 34 ft back, 2 ft offset
max total speed: 295 ft AGL, 268 ft back, -182 ft offset (67.9 mph)
max horizontal speed: 54 ft AGL, 136 ft back, 0 ft offset (49.5 mph)

degrees of rotation: 134 deg (left-hand)
time to execute turn: 8.20 sec
time during rollout: 3.06 sec
time aloft during swoop: 5.94 sec

entry gate speed: 40.9 mph
distance to stop: 163 ft
touchdown estimate: 163 ft (1.6 mph)
speed carve time: ---- sec (---- mph)

skow

*** I have been using 4G in 10 Hz mode myself.

On the site it's written that Flysight is the only supported GPS receiver, and according to my knowledge the maximum frequency is 5 Hz. How are you using 10 Hz?

The latest FlySights have a newer GPS chip that supports 10 Hz. I think it has been about a year since the newer version has been shipping.

raymod2

The latest FlySights have a newer GPS chip that supports 10 Hz. I think it has been about a year since the newer version has been shipping.

The hardware has been capable of 10 Hz logging since serial number 1247 (shipped at the end of 2013). However, some units may need a firmware update in order to use the higher rate, since the original firmware doesn't support rates higher than 5 Hz. The firwmare update procedure can be found here:

http://flysight.ca/wiki/index.php/Firmware_upgrade

I'm hoping to have an update utility available soon which will make the process a lot easier, but in the meantime it's easiest on a Windows XP/7 machine and possible (but harder) on a Mac.

Michael

danielcroft

503 "Service unavailable" when I try to get the latest firmware by clicking the link.

Thanks, Daniel. I'm not sure why this is happening, but it seems to be sporadic. If you repeat the click, does the download eventually work?

Michael

And another question. I've noticed that while doing bigger turns (bigge rthan 270), half of the turn is not visible on the plots.

I changed the mode from 1G to 2G and the problem still exists. So two questions:

- should I do anything else besides changing the mode in cfg file and saving it?
- is 2G enough or should I use 4G?

skow

And another question. I've noticed that while doing bigger turns (bigger than 270), half of the turn is not visible on the plots.

Do you mean that you are missing samples (ie. there are sporadic large gaps between samples)? If so, that is not caused by your configuration. It could be caused by turning on your FlySight too late (I recommend turning it on 1 minute before boarding the plane). It could also be caused by interference from a GoPro. Try moving the FlySight farther away from other devices.

I don't know what's wrong, but most of my plots look like pair of buttocks :) See pic below.

I also attached the cvs files, so if you have time you can take a look.

I put my flysight on for about 15-20 min every morning and then for 2-3 before every jump. I only got one plot proper and all the rest are missing the middle of the turn.

While doing 270s I don't have this problem. Just now with 450s.

EDIT: I tried 1G, 2G and 4G and see no difference.

Your GPS data looks very clean to me. I don't see any missing samples and the accuracy plots look pretty good.

What you are seeing is normal. The "kink" (discontinuity) in the overhead plot occurs just under 600 feet AGL and coincides with a spike in your turn rate (see the turn rate plot). In other words, there is a "snap" in your turn and when you do that your flight path is nearly vertical (see the dive angle plot). As you fly straight at the ground you are not moving in the overhead plot but you are still rotating. As your dive angle decreases you start moving again in the overhead plot but since you rotated a little over 200 degrees during the snap your direction of flight has suddenly changed (hence the "kink").

danielcroft

***I don't know what's wrong, but most of my plots look like pair of buttocks

So, as far as gswoop is concerned you're literally swooping like ass? :D

It was there in front of me, all this time, but I couldn't see it...

raymod2

Your GPS data looks very clean to me. I don't see any missing samples and the accuracy plots look pretty good.

What you are seeing is normal. The "kink" (discontinuity) in the overhead plot occurs just under 600 feet AGL and coincides with a spike in your turn rate (see the turn rate plot). In other words, there is a "snap" in your turn and when you do that your flight path is nearly vertical (see the dive angle plot). As you fly straight at the ground you are not moving in the overhead plot but you are still rotating. As your dive angle decreases you start moving again in the overhead plot but since you rotated a little over 200 degrees during the snap your direction of flight has suddenly changed (hence the "kink").

That makes a lot of sense (and is basically the same what danielcroft said :$)

thanks!

There have been a few new releases and we are up to v2.14 now. The biggest changes are:

1) Support for HiDPI displays on OSX. Devices with Retina displays use a high screen resolution in a physically small display (HiDPI is an acronym for "high dots per inch"). This can make things like fonts and icons appear too small. To address this OS X uses more pixels to draw objects. For native OS applications this makes everything appear smooth and sharp. For third party apps that don't support HiDPI display modes, the OS uses "zooming" which magnifies each pixel into a 2x2 pixel grid. The result is that icons and fonts appear at the correct size but they are blocky and blurry. gSwoop now supports HiDPI display modes on OSX so it looks as clear and sharp as native apps.

2) The pond is drawn in overhead plots even when no swoop is open. This makes it easier to view gate files. Also the IPC accuracy course is drawn on distance/accuracy plots.

3) Linux support has been added. The website now has .deb and .rpm packages. These have been tested on Ubuntu 16.04 and Fedora 23. Both of these OSes have issues installing 3rd party packages from the GUI. If you have trouble installing from the GUI it is much more reliable to use the command line (using dpkg and rpm).

The most powerful way to interpret GPS swoop data is to compare your swoops to those of other canopy pilots. In that spirit I want to start sharing data with the community. I have started by posting a few files on the gSwoop website that contain GPS data from the following pilots:

Greg Windmiller
Matt Shull
Dan Raymond
Justin Price
Jonathan Tagle

I hope to add others as long as pilots are willing to share their data. I will try to focus on competition runs to ensure wind conditions are under limits and scores can be verified. The files are compressed for easier sharing and they do not require a license key but you will need to download the latest version (v2.15) to parse them.