freekflyguy

Velo popper mod

My experience is they don't slow down the opening in general. I have quite a few jumps (even back to back) with snaps on and snaps off, and the openings are pretty much the same. As I remember, the idea isn't to slow the opening, but to force the slider to stay in place and help reduce the risk of extremely hard openings due to the slider shifting out of it's ideal location before deployment.

If it is something that will reduce the risk of a rogue opening...I'm all for it.

diablopilot

Meh.... To be more accurate makes up or sloppy packing and slider control.

Maybe so. I was able to compare one packer's (I normally pack myself but team training and all that) pack jobs back to back with snaps and no snaps. 5 to 10 without and then using snaps. So, I can't say it wasn't poor slider control but, even if that's the problem it solves, it does have an effect.

Gather round, an old man would like to tell a story...
Way back before PD had its own removable slider swoopers used to make their own versions or buy another manufacturers version.
Soon though, PD bought out their own RS, it had a lot of yellow Teflon cable incorporated into the design and was thus very heavy and difficult to quarter into the pack job. This created some funky openings and PD needed to come up with a solution. Bingo, they added the poppers. It was so popular and so well marketed that PD even offered to add poppers to all the regular non removeable sliders on all the Velos. Everyone's Velos, you only had to ask and by doing so you were that little bit more badass and a better swooper of course.
Hence the uptake of poppers on sliders everywhere!
However, PD's removeable slider kept improving and the design got better and better. Less cable was used and it became less heavy and easier to quarter into the pack job. The poppers were no longer needed but PD had millions of them still stockpiled! They were kept under the factory and used as helpers. Hence the term "Mignons' was born which later went on to inspire a Hollywood kids movie!