Helmut

Xaos 21 opinions

Looking at an older xaos 21 that has 950 jumps on it been relined 400 jumps ago. Any opinions on the canopy I have jumped and owned Katanas Velos Storms etc. What is one worth that is in good shape. Thanks for any help. Just little experience with anything other than PD.

I bought mine for $1300 USD with approx. 300 jumps on it...I think I got a pretty good deal. I would suspect you are going to need a reline in short order with that many jumps on the lines, I broke a couple on a jump with ~400 on the lineset. I do like the canopy but I haven't jumped any other crossbraced canopies, my biggest complaint would be high front riser pressure but if I nail the setup it is alright.
nakEd

They seemed to be pretty popular canopies up in the Pacific Northwest. I know of at least 5 of them at my DZ.

I seem to recall (and I may be mistaken that they came out after a partnership between NZ Aerosports, CIMSA and Precision to build canopies. Ultimately resulting in Icarus canopies.)

Precision then turned out tandem canopies and Xaos canopies which looked similar albeit slightly different to the Icarus tandem canopies and FX/VX canopies.

I believe they did develop the Xaos a bit from the FX/VX series (it wasnt just a direct copy) and at one point offering a retro-fit for VX canopies.

That being said, having seen them being jumped they are high performance canopies in the same category as the FX/VX canopies from NZ Aerosports/Icarus. The performance is similar.

I bought a brand new one 7 or 8 years ago and put about 400 jumps on it before selling it for a smaller Xaos 27. I really liked the openings on it. They were some of the most consistent and on heading openings that I have ever experienced. as I remember IT dove hard but had a shorter or a more positive recover arch than my Velo. It also shut down quicker. the Xaos 21 is a high performance wing that is just plain fun to fly without the constant searching that you would get on a Velo.

SkymonkeyONE

The Xaos 21 is a great "work" canopy. Super-reliable openings; much better than the 27 (I own an 80 square foot Xaos 27).

Chris Martin (rest in peace) from Precision Aerodynamics made every single one of his over 1000 wingsuit jumps on a Xaos 21 and never, every chopped it.

the (rest in peace) part doesn't sound very convincing :)

Helmut

Looking at an older xaos 21 that has 950 jumps on it been relined 400 jumps ago. Any opinions on the canopy I have jumped and owned Katanas Velos Storms etc. What is one worth that is in good shape. Thanks for any help. Just little experience with anything other than PD.

xs 69,,90, 98, all good,
Fx 77 ,81, 88, 99, vfx, big and small ,, I ended up staying with the velo 90 and 84
I think the xaos brakes down a bit much,, and most map out in the mind what we're aiming for in flight as for the goal and design, The Velo is that as fare as building a canopy of that purpose, the business of aiming your canopy over another in this flight idea with what we have to build canopies with is illogical, , other then that,, 500 bucks for a pocket rocket is a good deal, don't get hurt,,

Having something never beats doing (>|<)
Iam building things - Iam working on my mind- I am going to change this world - its what I came here 4- - -