raymod2

GPS for swooping

As some of you know I have been working on a project for quite some time to see if GPS can be an effective tool for analyzing swoops. You may have seen me at various competitions walking around the swoop pond with my FlySight (this is done to locate the entry gate) and I'm always wearing it on my helmet during jumps.

I have been developing software that parses a GPS log, analyzes the swoop, and generates all kinds of plots and metrics. For the most part I have been using it to analyze my own swoops. It's fun to look at metrics like peak vertical speed and entry gate speed but it has also allowed me to experiment with different flying styles, different size turns, or even different wings and directly compare the results.

For a long time the swooping community relied on outside video to debrief their jumps. Inside video (helmet mounted GoPros) has recently become ubiquitous. I think GPS is the next thing that will help progress the sport. If you swoop and you don't own a FlySight I encourage you to consider getting one.

I launched a new website (http://gswoop.com) where my tool is now available for download. Check it out and take a look at the example plots and metrics. They'll give you a good idea of the things GPS can show you about your swoop.

So nice to see you going public with this, Dan! I've seen some of the preliminary versions that Matt was working with and it's so much easier than my Excel hack. Looking forward to using the software!

P.S. Let me know when you get bored with your JPX 77. I have a JVX 77.7 on order to tide me over until my name bubbles up on "the list", but if I can get my hands on Petra sooner...

I realize that a lot of swoopers use Macs so I have been busy porting gSwoop to run natively under Mac OS X. With the release of version 1.03 (now available on the website) there is a package available for download that can be installed on machines running Mac OS X. This has been tested on Yosemite 10.10.1 but it should work on older versions (probably as far back as Snow Leopard 10.6).