danielcroft

PD's next canopy?

skydiverek
so you didn't watch the video did you ?
a NEW canopy (not yesterday new like the Valkyrie :P)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

That's what I'm saying. Ram air stabilisers.

The ICARUS NEOS is the finest high performance canopy in the market today. Its innovative aerodynamic and structural design characteristics, the new ARC1 Bracing (Advanced Rib Construction), the innovative SICS1 (Synchronized Inflow Control System) and the ERAS (Enhanced Ram Air Stabilizers) mark a new era in ram air canopy design technology.

scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

skow

EDIT: seems like NZ are not far behind

http://vimeo.com/111820591

AHAHAHAH! Love that the video they are watching when they get mad is yesterday's PD "R&D, all that lies ahead one".
The only thing I love more than kiwi's humor is their kiwi canopies. :D
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.

skow

I dated an Olga once... definitely high performance and with a tendency to get a fella in the corner and digging like hell.

I hope NZAero's test pilots are on their game B|
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

New 9 cell non cross braced Schumann planform wing from PD?

I think people are awfully confused about what the schuemann (don't forget the 'e') planform is about...

Hint: Forget about the nose, it is all about the tail and reducing wingtip vortices.

Once you round the tail at all, you no longer have a Schuemann planform. Simple.

The photo attached clearly show the tail (of Valkyrie) has been rounded much like the tail of this 9 cell no x brace thing.

A true Schuemann planform will have a tail that is either completely straight or slightly swept back.

For those that are interested here is an article about it written by the man himself.

http://spieltek.com/sunbirdsoaring/soaringarticle/schuemannwingplanformarticle.pdf

Do PD actually claim this is a Schuemann planform canopy?

I am sure it is a great canopy but not a Schuemann planform at all...

Speed-Flyer

New 9 cell non cross braced Schumann planform wing from PD?

I think people are awfully confused about what the schuemann (don't forget the 'e') planform is about...

Hint: Forget about the nose, it is all about the tail and reducing wingtip vortices.

Once you round the tail at all, you no longer have a Schuemann planform. Simple.

The photo attached clearly show the tail (of Valkyrie) has been rounded much like the tail of this 9 cell no x brace thing.

A true Schuemann planform will have a tail that is either completely straight or slightly swept back.

For those that are interested here is an article about it written by the man himself.

http://spieltek.com/sunbirdsoaring/soaringarticle/schuemannwingplanformarticle.pdf

Do PD actually claim this is a Schuemann planform canopy?

I am sure it is a great canopy but not a Schuemann planform at all...

This is a better photo,http://performancedesigns.com/images/galleries/valkyrie/content/_MG_9515_large.html
but still not perfectly straight, could be photo angle or input on the canopy or it's tapered at the end cells.

I think you guys are talking about two different canopies.

Nope, there is simply not any photos of this new prototype that I could easily link. The video shows the same picture that we are describing though.

Lets not make a big deal out of it though... I have just read quite a bit and this is something I know a little about so felt I had the experience to comment about it.

The Schuemann thing has come up a bit on the threads from what I have seen with my limited reading here, I wonder where it comes from?

I read that paper a week or two ago. I guess what I took (maybe wrongly) from it was that the aerodynamic effect of the Schuemann concept was a sliding scale which is optimized by a completely straight trailing edge?

Regardless, you can pull a screen grab from the PD release video if you want to see what the trailing edge of the new canopy looks like. To me, it looks similar to the VK.

The Schuemann planform is basically a wing with a straight trailing edge and a leading edge who's sweep back increases progressively toward the tip... Sometimes the trailing edge at the tip also curves back to form a point where it meets the leading edge.. The intent is to push the tip vortices out increasing the effective wing span and reducing induced drag.

And yes I agree it looks similar to the VK ( I assume that means Valkyrie?) which is not a Schuemann planform for the stated reasons as far as I can see.

Are you saying these canopies are in fact a schuemann planform or?

I believe the claim is "based on" the plan-form.

Not sure (could be wrong) that either of the players (PD, or NZ) have claimed to have copied the plan-form, but rather have based designs on it.

And I laughed my ass off at the NZ video - well played lads! :)

Performance Designs Factory Team

skow

so what do the inflatable stabilizers do?

I believe the idea is to reduce drag due to wingtip vortices (air "spilling" from the high pressure area under the wing to the low pressure area on top).

This is the same theory as the winglets on jet wings.

Why inflatable? I think just to get them to perform better. If you look at conventional stabilizers a lot of the time they are fluttering - this in itself is creating drag.

Just my thoughts as in interested party, but not an aerodynamicist.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA