mrkeske

Low jumpers and Stiletos

as a present day self appointed canopy Nazi my jump from the 170 to the 135 was stupid, fully square to elliptical and a 35' drop in size is not a good way to do it - but self assessment can be difficult at times and like many of us I suffer from "I can do it" syndrome

looking back, jump # 155 and 156 were on a triathalon 135 and I am sure the impression those two jumps on that canopy gave me was why I felt ready to try the stiletto of the same size - triathalons fly nice but big - they feel larger than the square footage which I know now - don't get me wrong, they are nice canopy's but they are a little on the docile side - then the stiletto which has a crazy fast response to any input - fast, very fast and I was unprepared for how the canopy seems to anticipate your every move.

After more than 800 jumps on my crossbraced canopy I have purchased another stiletto 135 which is a 60' increase in size - I want my canopy ride back - to be able to flip and spin to dance across the sky - the xbraced was fun but I lost that, deploy at 3000' - two 360's and I was setting up for my swoop - not much canopy time.

I want the whole skydive back :)
Roy

They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

D22369

After more than 800 jumps on my crossbraced canopy I have purchased another stiletto 135 which is a 60' increase in size - I want my canopy ride back - to be able to flip and spin to dance across the sky - the xbraced was fun but I lost that, deploy at 3000' - two 360's and I was setting up for my swoop - not much canopy time.

I hear that, Roy. :)
I'm still a relative newb with only 3 or 4 hundred cross braced flights but I pretty regularly do hop and pops and do them from altitude somewhat often as well. :)

megamalfunction

Elliptical parachutes are sort of a dumb idea regardless of how many jumps you have. They're like those drag racing boats you're always seeing crash on "World's Wildest Fuck ups!" Why the hell would anyone ever want one of those?

I'll bite too - because I wondered almost exactly this, when I had near enough exactly your number of jumps.

The first time I went elliptical (300-some jumps), you and I were right. More hassle than it was worth.

Now I love my Stiletto not for its crazy hair-raising turn rate, but for its incredibly efficient flight. It just out-glides everything else around me, and it lands beautifully at my wingload (where my Pilot 132 does not, and my wife's Sabre2 135 though better still does not compete). Those (seemingly) come from the tapered profile.

The sportiness is just the price I pay for the efficiency :)
D22369

after more than 800 jumps on my crossbraced canopy I have purchased another stiletto 135 which is a 60' increase in size - I want my canopy ride back - to be able to flip and spin to dance across the sky

Also this.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

virgin-burner

***Just a little chuckle on the topic of swooping.

http://youtu.be/kGBe-Rh7o4U

one can tell you havent been around for very long..

:D:D:D

Don't let VB trickle on your parade - it's still funny and he's forgotten there's always a new generation which hasn't seen the same old chestnuts. ;)
Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

kuai43

******Just a little chuckle on the topic of swooping.

Don't let VB trickle on your parade - it's still funny and he's forgotten there's always a new generation which hasn't seen the same old chestnuts. ;)
Ill try to remember that I am the Noob and that you all have seen it all!
I'll go back to my hole. Thanks :)

thatguythedj

*********Just a little chuckle on the topic of swooping.

Ill try to remember that I am the Noob and that you all have seen it all!
I'll go back to my hole. Thanks :)
for once, i didnt try to be an asshole; i just knew what it was before i clicked on it and wasnt disappointed.. :)
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda