coozer

Another copycat design from PD.

So it looks to me like PD have another copy cat canopy ready for release within a year of NZA releasing a cutting edge design.

It will be interesting to see how this one performs.

I have heard varying reviews from the limited information out there to date.

My opinion is that this is a copy cat design just like the Peregrine started out as...

What do you all think?

I made a poll so there is not a real need for commenting though they are encouraged to get at least an idea of what people are thinking about it.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10494744_10152685449876293_6864183692847835058_n.jpg?oh=54dbe959e6544e1da6f5507617084e36&oe=54CF2587&__gda__=1420894968_9ea470101c1f0668ae97270fbe4df995

coozer

So it looks to me like PD have another copy cat canopy ready for release within a year of NZA releasing a cutting edge design.

It will be interesting to see how this one performs.

I have heard varying reviews from the limited information out there to date.

My opinion is that this is a copy cat design just like the Peregrine started out as...

What do you all think?

I made a poll so there is not a real need for commenting though they are encouraged to get at least an idea of what people are thinking about it.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10494744_10152685449876293_6864183692847835058_n.jpg?oh=54dbe959e6544e1da6f5507617084e36&oe=54CF2587&__gda__=1420894968_9ea470101c1f0668ae97270fbe4df995

option 4- this poll is dumb jump what you want

skow

every good design will be copied one way or another. The same goes for elliptical design, cross braces etc. etc.

This is what pushes the sport forward.

This is what pushes mankind forward, the word that pops up in my head is evolution(and boobies).

every good design will be copied one way or another. The same goes for elliptical design, cross braces etc. etc.

This is what pushes the sport forward.

This sure is true.

If you look at the NZA website they clearly state that they used the technology that PD developed for the Excalibur, improved it, designed laser cutting technology and presto we had modern high performance parachutes.

The real key to this is that they gave PD the recognition of developing the idea and then they took that idea and improved on it.

PD don't seem to give the recognition and somehow claimed their parachute design (Peregrine) was in development before the NZA summer of love, even though they had never produced a production 9 cell cross brace.

I wonder if there will be any recognition this time round?

I believe that if they had have eaten some humble pie and gave some recognition then that would have gone a long way.

coozer

I think you missed the term production. I also removed the Excalibur as that was a 7 cell.

No hate here, just a conversation to see what others are thinking.

I am pooped from skydiving all day :P.

yep missed the production part. which to you means if it wasn't in production it doesn't exist.
you might not be hating but your poll choices show how one sided you are.
are you sponsored by nz? or just a fanboy with too many fuck yeah stickers on your helmet?:P

That picture of the prototype from 2012 looks to be a 9-cell design - i.e., I think the prototyping being referred to in that thread was zp vs. sail, not 7-cell vs. 9-cell.

I know there have been a lot of accusations and counterclaims about who was developing what at what time (some in jest, some serious). One thing I will say, though, is that PD would have more credibility in my eyes if they could spell the name of the inventor of the planform correctly. So far, I've seen it in their own literature and other communications as "Shulmann" and "Schumann", neither of which are correct. For those that are interested:
http://www.spieltek.com/SunbirdSoaring/SoaringArticle/SchuemannWingPlanformArticle.pdf

Schuemann is an anglicized version of Schümann, as is Schumann.

With regards to PD copying, I think it's very naive (or indeed naïve) to think think that PD would start marketing a canopy the year after they started development (assuming they started last year after Leia was announced.

Buy NZA, buy PD - who cares. But to accuse PD of doing something wrong because they produced a wing that looks like another wing is way off the mark in my view.

It's a parachute; chances are it's going to look like a parachute.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

cs_troyk

February 1983 Soaring Magazine to be specific.

Well that was interesting. That mysterious new skydiving planform explained -- just a planform I've seen on sailplanes for decades.

Basically has the benefits of an elliptical planform for spanwise lift distribution, but tapering the leading only, with some benefits in terms of airflow (specifically, trailing edge separation and crosswise flow).

But actually applying it on parachutes is a newer thing, and takes a little more thought given that we jumpers tend to hang somewhere under the leading edge, making the geometry more complex than when designers would taper the trailing edge a lot and the leading edge just a little.

Paragliders and speedflying canopies seemingly have been big on that style planform for a lot longer than it has been seen in skydiving.

pchapman

February 1983 Soaring Magazine to be specific.

Well that was interesting. That mysterious new skydiving planform explained -- just a planform I've seen on sailplanes for decades.

Basically has the benefits of an elliptical planform for spanwise lift distribution, but tapering the leading only, with some benefits in terms of airflow (specifically, trailing edge separation and crosswise flow).

But actually applying it on parachutes is a newer thing, and takes a little more thought given that we jumpers tend to hang somewhere under the leading edge, making the geometry more complex than when designers would taper the trailing edge a lot and the leading edge just a little.

Paragliders and speedflying canopies seemingly have been big on that style planform for a lot longer than it has been seen in skydiving.

but but nz created it and pd stole it. didn't you read the op?:S

pchapman

Paragliders and speedflying canopies seemingly have been big on that style planform for a lot longer than it has been seen in skydiving.and on kites for over 20 years :-)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM