Tisket

Canopy control for AFF

Let me preface this by saying that I have already spoken with my instructors and will continue to take their advice first and foremost. I'm also still kicking myself for landing out and not following the pattern, so please, be gentle regarding that aspect.

Yesterday, I completed ground school and did my AFF1. Other than working on arm/leg position during pulls(practice touches and wave&pull) I had a very good freefall.

A storm had just passed and the winds were perpendicular to the normal landing patterns. There was some argument in the plane as to which way we would be landing (AFF sets the pattern was also mentioned).

I was in the playground by 3,000' and played around doing gentle turns and watching my altitude. At 1500' I was facing into the wind and not moving forward with both toggles all the way up. At 1200', I had backed up to the very edge of the runway and was watching my main instructor with the radio to his face, unable to hear him.

500' and I was still at the edge of the runway, though I had cribbed down it a couple hundred feet.
400' and start moving forward again. It'd been repeated so many times that our landing pattern was left turns only. I was afraid of being too high, diving too much from turning, or getting into another skydiver that I didn't attempt the right turn to fit into the final leg of the pattern. I ended up having a good landing in the very middle of an otherwise very bad field.

And the radio? It was checked on the ground and shortly before exit and was working fine. Once back on the ground we found it securely in the pouch, turned off.>:(

Now that you know my story, what, in your opinions, could or should I have done differently to get out of the position I was in when I was stuck at the edge of the runway?
If you can't convince them, keep them confused.

Tisket

Now that you know my story, what, in your opinions, could or should I have done differently to get out of the position I was in when I was stuck at the edge of the runway?

the main thing to do is take your experience you had and stick it in your tool box.

do you remember how strong the winds were? they sound like they were at about your limit for the canopy you were flying. good job on not panicing and landing safely! the stronger the winds are the more upwind your holding area needs to be. when winds are at your limit, don't go past anything thats downwind of where you want to be.

once again good job landing safely! that's rule number 1!

I don't remember exactly how strong the winds were. I know 14mph is my limit as a student, and the instructors said the big fat student canopies fly at 15mph.

I'm definitely sticking this one in my toolbox, I just want to learn as much as I can from it so I'll be prepared when it happens again.

If you had zero ground speed, there's not a lot you can do once you are in that wind. The only thing I can think of is not getting there in the first place. What that means is adjusting your "playground" so that you don't get pushed past your landing area to a point where right turns are necessary. I.E. move it further away...on windy days you can be further away from your landing area because you will cover more ground on your downwind leg. When the winds change, like they do after a storm passes, it's important to reevaluate your pattern with an instructor. These are things that will come to you with a little more experience flying patterns.

By the way, if you made a good landing, off-field, with little to no assistance, on one of your very first jumps, you've done far more than most people with significantly more experience than you. So keep your head up. :)

"Are you coming to the party?
Oh I'm coming, but I won't be there!"
Flying Hellfish #828
Dudist #52

All you can do from past jumps is learn.

For the future, make sure you talk to your instructors about the canopy flight plan for that jump (it may very between jumps on the same day).

Plan the flight, fly the plan, analyze the results and adjust accordingly.

That's how we all learn.

Good luck.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

Tisket

It'd been repeated so many times that our landing pattern was left turns only.

Might want to talk to your instructors about that. While it is important to follow a prescribed pattern it is also important to do what is safest in the moment.

I can't say whether a turn contrary to the normal pattern would have been appropriate based solely on a verbal description of the situation, but if a deviation from the norm is the safest thing to do and will not create additional risk (airspace is clear, etc.) then do it.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Just wanted to update to say that I completed AFF levels 2, 3, and 4 this weekend. 2 and 3 were done saturday and I had my redemption! NAILED the landing pattern after a long week of beating myself up, and level 3 was a beautiful sunset load that I was able to enjoy under canopy while in the playground.

AFFs were grounded by wind all day yesterday until the sunset load, and level 4 went flawlessly...I just need to work on more upper body strength to be able to hold rear riser turns. Even though we still had some odd winds, I was a bit long on my final, but still landed safely in the main area.

I still hate that my level 1 pattern was so screwed, but it did make the next 3 jumps (especially with the odd winds last night) that much sweeter and less intimidating.

And a big thank you! to those of you that responded previously.