aaroncosbey

Demo canopy - loading a Spectre 97

I recently bought a diablo99 to fit in my small container tray for the odd WS flight and demo jump in turb / high winds where the LZ isn't big enough to accommodate something much faster. The trouble is the flare range is tiny and I feel its sinking out more than it should with not enough forward movement. (loading at 2.3)

Question is: does anyone have experience loading a spectre 97 above the 2.2 mark?

I remember one of the Babylon guys swooping one in ages ago - but he would be much lighter than me.

Im either going to get a spectre 97 or get a bigger container to accommodate something like a 107 / 120.

This feedback might not be too useful based on your question / desired loading, but my Spectre 97 works great for me. For wingsuiting I load around 1.5 (no weight belt), and 4way at around 1.7:1 (20lbs weight belt). Opens and lands great. I'm not sure I'd load it much higher - we're usually landing crosswind at my dropzone, and it's sometimes a little bit of a run at touchdown. My Katana has a bit more bottom end power but I wouldn't wingsuit with it :)

I haven't jumped specter loaded that high, but seems like most of non x-braced canopy tends to become kinda scary feeling after 1.75 wingload, Unless you hook it.

and if you are jumping a diablo, than why not jump katana 97? Katana opens way nicer than diablo and has way more flair authority.

and if you are gonna go HP canopy, why not think about JFX line, JFX opens way more on heading than katana does, and they fly much more solid than katana at that wingloading.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

I suppose the reason i wanted a 7-cell as a backup canopy was the predictable openings / ability to dump low / and sink it in compared to dealing with the increased glide & speed from something a bit spicier.

I asked Nick beatch at a training camp last month and he recommended a Spectre 107 for being able to sink it into stadiums and still do a natty swoops from 300ft!

What im getting at i suppose is there's no point in getting a small 7-cell if they all refuse to work properly loaded above 2.0.
(i have a leia77 coming in a few weeks and its technically a 7-cell)! B|

I fly a VC84 99.9% of my jumps - this canopy is just a backup solution.