skow

Full RDS for terminal jumps

I tried searching forums, but haven't found anything, so if that topic has been discussed already, point me to it.

So anyway, what is the reason not to use full RDS in terminal jumps? At least PD doesn't recommend it. Or has this changed over the years? In competitions guys going first sometimes take quite a delay, so it can't be that dangerous?

I can only speak to the stock PD velo RDS-

I jumped just the slider for a while, and my openings were generally pretty good, but maybe 3-4 out of 10 were "brisk". I fly camera, so I am more sensitive to that than most.

I soon learned that the RDS slider was designed to make sub terminal openings quicker, and it is in fact smaller than the stock slider. Mine was 4 inches on one side, and 2 inches on the other shorter. Changing back to stock slider greatly improved my openings (love how she opens!).

skow

***Because all the time and effort it takes to handle the full RDS can be an issue with lots of traffic.

Although good point, what does that have to do with terminal openings?

Full altitude/terminal jump = likely lots of traffic
Hop 'n pop for swooping = likely less traffic

skow

***Because all the time and effort it takes to handle the full RDS can be an issue with lots of traffic.

Although good point, what does that have to do with terminal openings?

also if you can't handle stowing your full rds in traffic, you probably can't handle a canopy that benefits from full rds in traffic.

I have 1000 + jumps on PD's RDS the vast majority are terminal. I have used them on Velo's and JVXs and my experience has been positive. I would say the openings are "snappy" but have not turned me off to using them.

Just my experience.

If your RDS is giving you 'brisk' openings at terminal then maybe try another brand. I have a Chupacabra RDS and noticed that I actually get better openings with a 10-15 second delay under my Velo 103 compared to sub-terminal. Some people complain about the smallish stainless steel gromets getting hung up on their dive loops but I don't have any issues with them at all. Of course I'm not using those big gnarly crew dive loops and my risers are stiched giving zero interference with the gromets. Here's a link if you want to check them out. http://thrill-inc.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=59

Kurbe105

If your RDS is giving you 'brisk' openings at terminal then maybe try another brand.

Actually I would love to speed up my openings :)
I haven't tried the full RDS yet on my canopy, only the removable slider. On my dropzone it's quite hard to jump hop'n'pops from around 2000m (6600 ft) and I was thinking how wise would it be to jump terminal jumps with full RDS.

I've never used a swivel. The end of my lanyard is finger trapped with a locking stitch and hooked through the threaded locking ring on the end of my D-bag. It's a little bit of a pain to untwist each jump but no chance of a swivel breaking. I attached a pic from when I also learned not to stow the lanyard past the cascade. Not sure if that little tension knot would have caused a spinner but I'm glad I didn't find out. It was just an itchy feeling in my belly that made me open up the pack job. :o