vision

How to price a used canopy...

So in the past I have seeked bargains or got a good deal through discount etc...

I then advertise based on what I paid and sell almost immediatley.

I wonder am I ripping myself off.

Does anyone have a good measure on how to price a used canopy assuming the canopy is in good condition for it's jump numbers (no holes or patches)...

Mine is a JVX 74 with about 900 jumps in great condition, I have stock slider and RDS and a spare lineset. Current line set has at least 100 jumps left in it.

This post is not really an ad for my canopy in particular but I am seeking a good measure for pricing it and any other canopy in the future.

I will use this as a basis to advertise it later.

People often give anecdotal guides like less $1 per jump etc...

But I just browse every place I can find that is selling used gear in the market I'm aiming for, and looking for similar gear to what I'm selling and trying to get a gauge for what sold and what didn't, then price my stuff based on that.
Sky Switches - Affordable stills camera tongue switches and conversion adaptors, supporting various brands of camera (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic).

Heres what i do. I look at the line set and the canopy as two different items. So lets say a brand new canopy is $2000. A line set installed cost on average $375. SO the lines are worth $375 making the canopy worth $1625. Depending on the canopy and the type of lines determines value loss. So lets say sabre2. I would subtract roughly 75 cents for each jumps off the lines and a dollar off the canopy.
(insert philosophical quote here)

vision

So in the past I have seeked bargains or got a good deal through discount etc...

I then advertise based on what I paid and sell almost immediatley.

I wonder am I ripping myself off.

Does anyone have a good measure on how to price a used canopy assuming the canopy is in good condition for it's jump numbers (no holes or patches)...

Mine is a JVX 74 with about 900 jumps in great condition, I have stock slider and RDS and a spare lineset. Current line set has at least 100 jumps left in it.

This post is not really an ad for my canopy in particular but I am seeking a good measure for pricing it and any other canopy in the future.

I will use this as a basis to advertise it later.

imho is that it is tough. For one your buyer pool is very small as dictated by the gear. Some pay more attention to DOM than Actual numbers. I am of no help but I hear what your saying. I am actually trying to by a canopy back right now I sold for too cheap last year. But is was almost new and sold too cheap. Or so I think. I had a deal when I got it so I came out good but now with no support I can't imaging paying retail and realize just how low I let it go
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.

rtroup

Heres what i do. I look at the line set and the canopy as two different items. So lets say a brand new canopy is $2000. A line set installed cost on average $375. SO the lines are worth $375 making the canopy worth $1625. Depending on the canopy and the type of lines determines value loss. So lets say sabre2. I would subtract roughly 75 cents for each jumps off the lines and a dollar off the canopy.

I have a very similar method. And here I thought I was all clever when I came up with it.

However, I do one thing slightly differently. I assume the lines have 500 jumps in them, and that the canopy has 2000 jumps in it, then I simply use jumps-left-on-lines/500 * price of lines + jumps-left-on-canopy/2000*price of canopy.

So your Sabre2 with 500 jumps and original lines would be 0/500*375 + 1500/2000*1625.

Generally for a popular canopy, I'll fudge higher. You can sell a sabre2 150 even if it's "overpriced," especially if you're willing to wait a little.

I don't have any specific formula for patches or whatnot, but obviously they lower the price some.
Don't let the fact that I sound like I think that I know what I'm talking about fool you. I know that I don't know what I'm talking about

Time on market will also affect your price. For example one of the strongest factors is simply demand. Recently with the release of a number of very high end performance canopies there have been a huge number of velocities on the market. This allows buyers to pick and choose and drive competitive negotiation so irrelevant of your believed canopy price the market will drive it down.
Dont just talk about it, Do it!