Blue240

safire 2 vs sabre 2

From a swooping perspective which canopy would you consider to be better? Yes there are some other threads that talk about these canopies but they were kind of vague and not really what I was looking for. I am interested in hearing about the power, recovery arc, bottom end flare (please be civil about this as there was a lot of debate) and just overall sight picture. I have read a lot of comparisons and cant formulate a clear comparison. Is there a significant difference in these canopies or does it really come down to the pilot?

In case this will help my plan would be to EVENTUALLY go to a katanna or crosfire2 and EVENTUALLY end up on JVX or velo.

And yes ill try to demo both and decide for myself but I just want to get an idea in the meantime.

mattjw916

the cheaper one :P

between those two it's personal preference IMO

check out the Nitron too if you're interested in swooping, nice dives without the drama on opening... more flare than both with lighter riser pressure

I agree, havent put many jumps on a Safire but they seemed to have better openings than a Sabre 2, whereas the Sabre may have had a slightly longer recovery arc, but I'd go with whatever happens to be the best deal. I did like my Sabre 2 though.

Yup, they are pretty neck and neck. So go with the cheaper one.

The next step is going to be the more important decision though. Depending on which crossbraced canopy you want to end up on, you'll need to put more thought into the katana vs crossfire. The katana is more similar to a velo and thus will set you up for a better transition to a velo. Same goes for crossfire/JVX.

theplummeter

Fusion is worth a look too, I love mine just like I loved the Safire2 I had, but paid much less for it.

Agreed. I've jumped all 3, but when a lineset for my safire took forever and I found a fusion I could buy for less than the lineset+work needed, I never regretted it, in fact I still have that fusion in my 2nd rig.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

ianmdrennan

I'd go with the best customer service vs cheapest (in any product I buy).

i've bought a safire2 about 3yrs ago from NZaerosports and had funky openings right from the start; i just talked to them and they'll change the lineset if necessary and will actually testjump it before they send it back, free of charge.

i think that's pretty good service. :)
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

virgin-burner

I'd go with the best customer service vs cheapest (in any product I buy).

i've bought a safire2 about 3yrs ago from NZaerosports and had funky openings right from the start; i just talked to them and they'll change the lineset if necessary and will actually testjump it before they send it back, free of charge.

i think that's pretty good service. :)
They will give you a new lineset 3 yrs after you bought the canopy???

That is beyond good service - it sounds like a commercially bad decision!
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

I've flown both at the same loading. Get the sabre2. Longer recovery arc, steeper full flight glide. Not much, but noticeable. The Safire likes to pop up as soon as you get out of the turn. The sabre has a smoother transition. In my limited opinion. Safires openings were nicer overall, but I actually liked the flight of the sabre better. Risers seem about the same at first with a hair slower build up on the sabre.
I was that kid jumping out if his tree house with a bed sheet. My dad wouldn't let me use the ladder to try the roof...

Alexg3265

I've flown both at the same loading. Get the sabre2. Longer recovery arc, steeper full flight glide. Not much, but noticeable. The Safire likes to pop up as soon as you get out of the turn. The sabre has a smoother transition. In my limited opinion. Safires openings were nicer overall, but I actually liked the flight of the sabre better. Risers seem about the same at first with a hair slower build up on the sabre.

This.

Exactly my experience with both canopies with 150 sqft at 1.4
-------------------------------------------------------

To absent friends

I've flown the Sabre2 150/135/120 but haven't jumped a Safire2. My experience with the SA is that it is great for canopy piloting, however to get very good swoops you have to have very good turns. A fast turn, a sloppy finish, touching the rears to early, etc. will result in the recovery arc a lot shorter than what you wanted. When I flew it right, I could start a turn from 770' on a 120 @ 1.8 and it would dive like a SOB and scream across the ground. It's just very difficult for me to be consistent with it, however I'm not willing to lower my turn because when I get it right I'm gonna smack into the ground if I lower my start altitude.

Long answer short, I'd stick with the Sabre2.

mattjw916

the cheaper one :P

between those two it's personal preference IMO

check out the Nitron too if you're interested in swooping, nice dives without the drama on opening... more flare than both with lighter riser pressure

+1 both great canopies. If i were to buy a new one - I would go Safire2 ($2025 for Safire vs $2175 for Sabre2). If it's used one - I'd go for a best deal.