1 1
matt3sa

Terminal Comp Velo Openings Please Post Vids

Not super experienced in this discussion but I have put about 50 jumps on a VE90 @ 1.9 (there's a story there) and have a bit over 100 on my VC84 @ 2.0. I use the factory removable slider but not the full RDS. I have a Thrill-inc Chupacabra removable slider (again, not full RDS) on the VE90. I've put a couple of hundred jumps on a Xaos-27 91 @ 1.9 as well. I use the snaps on my VC84 on the factory removable.

I've found the openings on the VC84 to be generally excellent and on heading.

Here's a video from jumps that I made this past weekend including the redemption for my VE90. There were at Skydive Perris and Skydive Elsinore, both of which are 1300/1400ft MSL:

https://vimeo.com/108865464

Warning, this is an aside, tangentially related to the topic at hand
So, the VE90 was bought second hand from someone I won't mention since this may have been an honest mistake. I had it sitting in my closet for some months with a Chupacabra slider on. I had been jumping the Xaos-27 91 for a while and it's getting to end of life and I don't want to blow it up. I pulled the VE90 out and here's what my openings were like:
https://vimeo.com/102269970
https://vimeo.com/102292030
It turns out that the control lines were 2" too short which was causing my feisty openings. Tried a lot of ideas (including packing and buying a new dbag and smaller PC, per PD's recommended PC sizing suggestions) none of it worked. Ended up sending it back to PD where the control line issue was identified and, since having it back, the jump I did on it was beautiful.

Those openings look my terminal openings on VC90 with removable slider. I pitch at 125-130mph and WL 2.9. Subterminal openings are sweet, but terminal ones are killing me. Put a VE channel slider on and all is good cept slider gets in the way esp when planing out. Guess that's why removable slider says no to terminal and channel slider doesn't say no.

Honestly, I don't find most of my openings to be painful. They're quick, sure but I don't mind fast openings. I was jumping at Skydive Dallas this weekend and hit my head on the door on the way out (I'm has the awesome... B|), net effect was that my camera was pointing up, the opening looked like all the other velo openings I've seen people look at (I don't as you can tell). A little searchy but on heading for the most part. Having said that, I do have a non-factory removable slider on my VE90 that I could try out, it's bigger so may slow down the openings a bit.

Need help!! I just bought a Comp Velocity 90 with 500 jumps on it. It has a brand new orange vectran 500 lineset. It came with an RDS slider which i made one jump with it sub terminal and it was a great on heading opening but I am intending to use this parachute for work jumps and fun jumps and i didn't like the rds so i ordered the correct size channel slider with snaps. So with my first jump using snaps going terminal the opening was very hard compared to my regular velocity 90 but still on heading. Since then i have put about 30 jumps on the parachute trying many things to slow the openings down but I just can't get it to a comfortable area and I'm not sure what to do? I make sure before I pitch I slow down like crazy but still every time it sits me up fast and shifts side to side and then surges forward. Does anyone know why it would be opening like this? I also only pack for myself and i have been packing for 12 years I consider myself very neat.

Do you want to describe how you're packing it? Your loading, etc.

I personally fold the outer cells in front of the next two inboard cells on either side, leaving the center cell completely clear (based on advice from the pro swooper I bought my VC84 off). I also make sure the slider is well forward in the pack job. I don't use the collapsible slider though, I much prefer to use just the slider from the RDS and deal with the slight amount of extra time re-attaching. I don't work in the industry, though. That's on my VC84 loaded at ~2.0:1.

danielcroft

Do you want to describe how you're packing it? Your loading, etc.

I personally fold the outer cells in front of the next two inboard cells on either side, leaving the center cell completely clear (based on advice from the pro swooper I bought my VC84 off). I also make sure the slider is well forward in the pack job. I don't use the collapsible slider though, I much prefer to use just the slider from the RDS and deal with the slight amount of extra time re-attaching. I don't work in the industry, though. That's on my VC84 loaded at ~2.0:1.

So my wing loading is 2.0:1 with my VC90. Ive tried packing it many different ways and the best way that i found was kinda like yours but i just role the outer cells on either side into the center sell next to the slider. Then I take the front stabilizer and tuck it in by the slider. I don't use the snaps either I just make sure the slider has been quartered well.

I use the snaps every time. I was on a team a couple of years ago flying my VC84 and had the same packer not using the snaps and then using the snaps I did notice a slight difference.

One of the things I noticed when demo-ing the Helix was how slow it opens compared to the VC/VK/Leia; the problem was, I was packing slow and causing the wing to have a reaaaaaaaly slow opening which lead to more off headings, etc. The biggest difference was the slider position. After speaking with Scott about it, he'd suggested the slider being just quartered whereas, with VC/VK/Leia I've generally pulled the nose of the slider forward. The snap location on the front of the slider gives an inch or two of material forward to allow the slider to hit the wind first. I make sure, before I cocoon that the slider is still forward in that configuration.

I pack pretty weird and, pretty neat (*cough*slow*cough* :D) I could probably take a picture of what I mean this weekend if that doesn't make sense?

Having just got a VC84 with the PD removable slider, I'm also finding the openings at terminal anything from brisk but fine, to a bit too positive to be comfortable.

Here's some of last weekend's openings:
https://youtu.be/nO8VITcAFos

I'm tempted to get my rigger to make me a hybrid removable & collapsible slider in the (larger) regular slider size. Is anyone using similar? And how are the regular slider openings vs the removable openings on a comp? :)

With the standard HMA 500 line-set the openings are very good (with removable slider)!
Now I installed the 500 Orange Vectran lines and must say that my VC90 openings are much faster then before.
To be honest, I prefer the HMA 500 lines!!