Sakeryzf

New Prototype NZ Aerosports 'Petra-lite'

OK so here she is ;

This summer we’ve been experimenting with a brand new series of prototypes! We’ve nicknamed this version Petra Lite.

She’s a 7-cell (21-chamber) crossbraced performance wing designed using Petra technology and shaping, and to date we’ve made several iterations.

Standby for more news, photos and the normal carnage videos from our exciting new R&D project!

Feel free to ask as many questions as you like!

Cheers

Chris.

Sorry i've been on a long haul flight back to NZ for the past two days!

The 'Lite' version is targeted more at the everyday jumper who wants to have a ZP canopy he/she can use for pretty much everything, the focus was still on performance but also ease of use , she has a standard slider.
Is only made from ZP ( which makes colour options better) and also easier for packing.

She is also the ideal stepping stone from a JVX, flight wise she is very similar to Petra, steep dive and long recovery arc.

It's still early days but we are confident that this canopy is going to be something very special.

Chris[

Sakeryzf

The 'Lite' version is targeted more at the everyday jumper who wants to have a ZP canopy he/she can use for pretty much everything,

She is also the ideal stepping stone from a JVX, flight wise she is very similar to Petra, steep dive and long recovery arc.

:|

Those two sound oxymoronic to me, Chris.

An 'everyday canopy that can be used for everything' but also a step up from a JVX - a designed-to-be no shit swooping machine.

Don't get me wrong, I like the JVX and love the GLX that was based on it- but they're not everyday canopies for typical jumpers. They're at the end of the spectrum as I see it.

You're saying 'steep dive and long recovery' - the only discipline that I can think of in which those would be a bonus is dedicated swooping - certainly not everyday jumping.

I know nothing about the canopy, but the way you're describing it sounds like the commercial version of Petra, where the little kinks have been ironed out.
It sounds to me almost like the PD Peregrine but you've taken the opposite tack on marketing - saying it's a extreme do-everything machine for everyone.

I'd love some clarification - who should buy the Petra Lite? Who's it aimed at and who shouldn't be buying it?

Again - nothing personal in any of this. But to me looking objectively, the marketing seems too good to be true...

Sakeryzf

Sorry i've been on a long haul flight back to NZ for the past two days!

The 'Lite' version is targeted more at the everyday jumper who wants to have a ZP canopy he/she can use for pretty much everything, the focus was still on performance but also ease of use , she has a standard slider.
Is only made from ZP ( which makes colour options better) and also easier for packing.

It's still early days but we are confident that this canopy is going to be something very special.

Chris[

So if it's an everyday jumper's canopy, is it more like a JFX +/Plus/Turbo sort of thing?
Sky Switches - Affordable stills camera tongue switches and conversion adaptors, supporting various brands of camera (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic).

DivingWombat

Makes me wonder if PD announces a 7cell Peregrine-lite...by chance, just a couple of months later B|

You mean the Comp Velocity?

You're a wee bit late there with your conspiracy theory!
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

yoink

An 'everyday canopy that can be used for everything' but also a step up from a JVX - a designed-to-be no shit swooping machine.

Agreed. From the description given it sounded like a competitor to a PD Storm, and since I was looking at buying a Storm I decided to see what a JVX is in comparison.
From the website: "The JVX is the first competition swoop canopy designed for rear riser flight!"
How is something which is a step up from that an everyday canopy? Unless you like taking a Formula 1 car to work and to get groceries. ;)

Doug_Davis

Agreed. From the description given it sounded like a competitor to a PD Storm, and since I was looking at buying a Storm I decided to see what a JVX is in comparison.
From the website: "The JVX is the first competition swoop canopy designed for rear riser flight!"
How is something which is a step up from that an everyday canopy? Unless you like taking a Formula 1 car to work and to get groceries. ;)

"She’s a 7-cell (21-chamber) crossbraced performance wing designed using Petra technology and shaping"

Really?

yoink

The 'Lite' version is targeted more at the everyday jumper who wants to have a ZP canopy he/she can use for pretty much everything,

:|

Don't get me wrong, I like the JVX and love the GLX that was based on it- but they're not everyday canopies for typical jumpers. They're at the end of the spectrum as I see it.

You're saying 'steep dive and long recovery' - the only discipline that I can think of in which those would be a bonus is dedicated swooping - certainly not everyday jumping.

I know nothing about the canopy, but the way you're describing it sounds like the commercial version of Petra, where the little kinks have been ironed out.
It sounds to me almost like the PD Peregrine but you've taken the opposite tack on marketing - saying it's a extreme do-everything machine for everyone.

I'd love some clarification - who should buy the Petra Lite? Who's it aimed at and who shouldn't be buying it?

Again - nothing personal in any of this. But to me looking objectively, the marketing seems too good to be true...

Not to be rude but that was pretty straight forward, if you need more clarification then you shouldn't be inquiring. Its obviously not for the non experienced pilot with low jumps, cross brace experience prior most definitely will be necessary, ask anyone that has a petra/peregrine.

Just like a velo/jvx/jfx, its a great everyday canopy for a experienced jumper that wants to still have some fun and get their swoop on at the end of the jump, without the opening and full rds a comp wing brings, it is just clearly the next better wing for that type of jumping in a ZP format

Fyi the peregrine is subterminal only. And you sign a contract that you will not take it terminal, sell it etc for 4000 big ones :)

Not to be rude but that was pretty straight forward, if you need more clarification then you shouldn't be inquiring. Its obviously not for the non experienced pilot with low jumps, cross brace experience prior most definitely will be necessary, ask anyone that has a petra/peregrine.

Just like a velo/jvx/jfx, its a great everyday canopy for a experienced jumper that wants to still have some fun and get their swoop on at the end of the jump, without the opening and full rds a comp wing brings, it is just clearly the next better wing for that type of jumping in a ZP format

Fyi the peregrine is subterminal only. And you sign a contract that you will not take it terminal, sell it etc for 4000 big ones :)

Nothing rude about it. I started to reply several times very similarly and my delivery wasn't so suttle. The OP could have interjected the word Swooper in his everyday comment for those that need their hand held, but non the less..... you either get or you don't, and the latter wont be picking one up at Walmart anytime soon .
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.

dqpacker

"She’s a 7-cell (21-chamber) crossbraced performance wing designed using Petra technology and shaping"

Really?

I claim newbie ignorance.:$

This thread has made me laugh! I can't help picturing some dumbass looking up at his Petra lite for the first time wondering why it doesn't look like the PD storm he was expecting to see, and unstowing the brakes all feeling like being back in freefall.
Most swoopers would describe anything that doesn't come made out of sail,without an RDS as standard and will lines thick enough not to snap when deployed after a 10second delay as being an every day canopy.
Similarly most swoopers expect a swooping canopy to fly steep in full flight and dive easily with a long recovery arc, those that don't are toggle hooking a stiletto.
If your not flying a cross brace, move on there's nothing to see for you here, this discussion is not for you.

DocPop

***Makes me wonder if PD announces a 7cell Peregrine-lite...by chance, just a couple of months later B|

You mean the Comp Velocity?

You're a wee bit late there with your conspiracy theory!

That has nothing to do with a conspiracy theory.

Interesting that you think petra lite, designed for everyday use is on pair with a comp velocity.

If some of you actually make it out of the chair you're sitting in, and drive to the dz, you'll see people swooping, everyday..... Why is it so hard to believe that my 84, is my everyday canopy, That gets swooped every jump(almost). It said Petra lite, not student Petra

matt002

If your (sic) not flying a cross brace, move on there's nothing to see for you here, this discussion is not for you.

Why not?

Some of us are not even slightly interested in swooping but are very interested in canopies. Sorry, "wings". Did I say that right? The grown up words are hard for me sometimes.

This advertising campaign - sorry, "conversation"! - is just as much for us as it is for anyone else, since nobody can buy the thing yet anyway, and for all we know nobody ever will ;)
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?