Sakeryzf

New Prototype NZ Aerosports 'Petra-lite'

Sakeryzf

Here you go, she's awesome !!! I get to fly a lot of different Wings in my job, this one is with out doubt one of the nicest I've ever flown :-)

http://vimeo.com/m/92211502

In relation to a velocity (comp or otherwise), how do the flight characteristics compare? Is it a serious step up in performance such as recovery arc, swooping distance, rear riser power, flare power? Could you offer a good side by side comparison for a velo flyer who is interested in jumping the fence?

Sakeryzf

Here you go, she's awesome !!! I get to fly a lot of different Wings in my job, this one is with out doubt one of the nicest I've ever flown :-)

Pretty canopy. Looks like a blast to fly and you guys look like you're having an awesome time with them! I'm extremely jealous!

Given the recent incident with a swooper hospitalizing a spectator you might want to revisit the idea of swooping through the picnic areas at 2.45 though... ;)

skydivah1

***Here you go, she's awesome !!! I get to fly a lot of different Wings in my job, this one is with out doubt one of the nicest I've ever flown :-)

In relation to a velocity (comp or otherwise), how do the flight characteristics compare? Is it a serious step up in performance such as recovery arc, swooping distance, rear riser power, flare power? Could you offer a good side by side comparison for a velo flyer who is interested in jumping the fence?

In comparison to a JVX, sail or otherwise she is a huge leap in performance. Riser pressure is lighter , She loves to dive and is easy to keep that way. Recovery arch is much longer than a JVX.

We have had several Velo/comp pilots try this canopy, and their option is it dives more aggressively has a wider range both slow and fast. Hope this answers your question.

Cheers.

Chris.

So I got the opportunity to put 9 jumps on an 86 Leia (slightly too big for me i think) the other day, and filled out an order form for a 76 that evening!

Arguably THE best opening canopy out there, we packed various different ways (using packers aswell) and every jump was as soft as another. I honestly have never felt a canopy open that soft, it is a god send for any camera flyer that values their neck and wants to be able to jump full time for a while!

She fly's amazingly as well especially with a bit more loading on her! Im planning on competing with her exclusively until my name comes up in the list for a Petra after which i will still have the best camera canopy available and a great wing for accuracy.

Just my 0.2c

mx19

So I got the opportunity to put 9 jumps on an 86 Leia (slightly too big for me i think) the other day, and filled out an order form for a 76 that evening!

Arguably THE best opening canopy out there, we packed various different ways (using packers aswell) and every jump was as soft as another. I honestly have never felt a canopy open that soft, it is a god send for any camera flyer that values their neck and wants to be able to jump full time for a while!

She fly's amazingly as well especially with a bit more loading on her! Im planning on competing with her exclusively until my name comes up in the list for a Petra after which i will still have the best camera canopy available and a great wing for accuracy.

Just my 0.2c

Glad you enjoyed your time on her :-) Thanks for the awesome feed back!!

Cheers.

Chris.

I've been jumping my Leia 82 for a while now, so far i've put about 150 jumps on her for work & play. Running with a wingloading of around 2.5psf.

She's definitely one of the most consistently nice opening canopies i've had the pleasure of jumping, soft and long snivels, very reminiscent of the JFX and with very little searching. I don't find it overly twitchy when opening compared to other high performance canopies and a lot more docile in the moments just after opening than Petra. The one thing I did find was that you have to be quite quick grabbing the slider, otherwise it sits quite high as she is flying.

For those interested in her suitability as a work canopy, I wouldn't bother with anything else. From a low hassle view point, it doesn't get any better. As I said, amazing openings, the majority of my jumps were filming tandems and to have such reliably good openings is nice, especially with a solid camera setup on my helmet. Long spots are not a problem either, she has a huge amount of range in the rears as well as a beautiful sweet spot if you're leaning out of the harness a touch (Kitsch can attest to that) I've purposely put myself out from long spots and had no issues from over 2+miles out. She packs up super easy with a really low pack volume and doesn't require much attention to make her open beautifully. Even with different people packing load to load the openings were always consistent.

The performance is where she comes into her own. With a harness sensitivity far beyond other crossbraced canopies (with the exception of her big sister) initiating and rounding out turns can be done with the smallest shift in weight. I've had to completely rethink my flying style, as those of you who have jumped Leia/Petra will know. A bit of oversteer if you're a bit heavy with your weight shift but nothing hard to overcome. A longer recovery arc and more glide on landing with a huge stopping power in the flare...ideal zone acc canopy. Goes wild with a full RDS on too.

Stalls are pretty hassle free, with a full toggle stall she bucks a little bit before the stall point but rear riser stalls aren't so scary. Front riser pressure is almost nothing and I couldn't get her to do anything out of sorts while giving them a good thrashing. I also had no issues with her at low speeds, still plenty of range for manouevring and fine for half braked landings etc. I've found brake fires to be completely cancelled out with counter harness input too, which can come in handy on occasion.

Nothing bad to say about her at all...if anyone has any more specific things they want answered then go for it and i'll do my best

vision

Looks like both JVX and Velocity will become a thing of history very soon.

Why would anyone want either of those anymore?

because no one buys stiletto's or xfire''s anymore.:S
and unless pd makes a peregrine-lite people will still buy the comp velo.

vision wrote:

JLX is not recommended as a first x-brace and it might be considered wise to have some time under either of those before making the switch.

FTR: I'm very happy with my JVX and for me at least it'll be some considerable time before i'd even consider another canopy.
.CHOP WOOD COLLECT WATER.

trigger

vision wrote:

JLX is not recommended as a first x-brace and it might be considered wise to have some time under either of those before making the switch.

FTR: I'm very happy with my JVX and for me at least it'll be some considerable time before i'd even consider another canopy.

You would definitely want to have time under a JVX or equivalent wing before making the switch.

Sizing wise you'll want to ( when you feel ready) go a little smaller , they are a much more efficient wing and an equivalent size tends to "feel bigger".
Typically people drop 2-4 square ft from their current size.

We are so proud of this wing, and can't wait to see more out there!

Chris.

vision

I love my JVX,
I think you should be able to do a consistent 450 on a JVX (and be at the right wing loading) before you might want to start flying this wing.

The only way I would see people skipping the JVX, if it actually has better opening characteristics than the JVX.

Nothing wrong with the JVX openings for either working jumps or fun jumps (if you know how to stay symmetrical, and fly the opening, etc etc), but if you can get a better performance and better openings, then it might one of the reasons that people might want to skip.

Having jumped a Leia about 8 times I believe this attitude will change in time.

Liea is a beautiful canopy and very predictable.

Much like when the VX, Velo, JVX and Comp velo came out they were the best in the range and not for everyone...

Same goes when stilettos came out (before my time).

Like chris said, they are an efficient wing and feel bigger than they are.

I demoed the 72 and usually fly a JVX 74, I will order a sub 70 Leia for sure but with a JVX I would not be so sure about that.

Looking up at it is surprising as it looks so much smaller than it feels.

I foresee that people will order Leia 90's etc and very quickly downsize to 79 etc.

It is not that I do not recommend jumping a JVX or velo or similar first, it is just that this is what I see happening.

The market for used Velos etc will become huge as people with them canopies now with lots of experience on them will upgrade to Leia and this will allow most people get their experience on learner X braced canopies like a standard Velo and for cheap.

The 'new' market for these older style canopies will decline very significantly would probably a more correct term to describe what I foresee.

Alright, I've gotta get this off my chest: LEIA??? You're naming a supposedly bad-ass canopy after a princess??

Did the marketing department take the day off that day?

Seriously, why don't you just call it the prancing butterfly. We'll all wear pink tu tu's when swooping it in.

Will you have to cut it away once a month when she's on the rag?

Is it too much for a swooper to see Satan's Breath on the bottom skin when he looks up??

For crying out loud...
Rant off...>:(