matt3sa

Velocity wing load change and riser pressure

I've searched thouroughly and I still haven't found a diffinitive answer about how increased wing loads effect riser pressure on a Velocity. I just went from a 96 to a 90 and holy crap the front and rear riser pressure increased substancially. This particular velo also has extended brake lines ( not sure if this plays a part). I went from about a 1.85 w/l to a 2.0 by doing this. Loving the speed increase but I swear its like wrestling a bear even with a deep brake surge prior to my riser dive and even on the swoop on the rears. Thoughts? Significant front and rear riser pressure increase. Is this a normal characteristic?

You didn't just change wing loading though. Any two canopies of the same size can have differences, and different sizes also can have different flight characteristics, even at the same loading. For me, I found the 103 almost impossible due to high riser pressures, but the 96 was like butter.

aaroncosbey

Just out of interest, why are you concerned on front riser pressure when flying a VE96?
Are you hauling on them when the cell pressure is high?

I'm assuming here that you are elluding to the fact that so many Velo jumpers now use the "deep almost-stall, to double fronts in "chruch" position, to let up on one, then transfer to just harness" method of initiating big turns. When you are jumping with a sky full of others under identical canopies eight and ten times a day and everyone is racing down to the 100 x 300 foot piece of grass next to the packing building to make the next load, that method doesn't really work.

Yes, front riser pressure under Velos (from full flight) is quite heavy, but with a tiny bit of opposite sashay just prior to laying into it with one riser and harness it gets around just fine for a 270 without wearing you out too much.

FWIW: my work canopies are Velo 90's.