BrianSGermain

Spinning Linetwist Recovery Techniques?

No reason to chop that, the canopy was above you and flying straight.
If you see how the first twist develops, the risers must first come together to twist, if instead of grabbing the rears, you just grab both riser groups (front and back together) and push them apart, that would in most cases have prevented the first twist from occurring, if the first one can't happen, the next 5 can't happen either.
Trying to steer the canopy on the rears during opening can cause problems, the imput only really takes effect after the canopy is fully open, before open can cause funkey inflation rather than steering.

Line twists can form well above the risers. Spreading them will not stop a spinning canopy from forming line twists. It just changes how far up they are.

Line twists on a Saber 2 loaded at 1.2 will almost always be recoverable anyway. Most of this stuff is about HP canopies. A whole different game.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Ronsebag

http://youtu.be/s2DLvlz6y7I
Not a spinning line twist but this is the way I got out of my
Almost reserve ride. " maybe it should have been one:)

Ummm... yes. You made that happen by fucking with your rears during inflation. Grabby hands... :S
Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

A few years ago I end up with a few line twist under a Stiletto on opening.
Since it was flying straight I did a gentle move with my legs to undo that. As soon as I did that Move I end up on my back spinning violently, while being in this position and knowing my altitude I decide to do one try at releasing the brakes and pull both down to see if it does something. It was spinning so fast on my back that I was not sure where up and down were but I reach my toggles as an automatic reaction pull them as if I want to do a stall but the situation remain the same so I cut away.
Yes I was aware of the time I was spending and I knew I had that time but in my head it was one move and then cut away.
When these things happen you need to have a clock in your head and I think this clock come only with experience.
Otherwise I would suggest to everybody to perform an emergency procedure in a case of a problem with the main.
It is very very easy to forgot the time when your trying to deal with a problem. And at opening altitude with a bad situation like a spinning main you don't have that much time.
I am sure Brian doesn't want all you guys out there to try to do things in that case but ask people who did try safely what was the result.
You're always better alive under a reserve then dead trying something with your main!!

Richard
When you think you're good...this is when you become dangerous.

I've found out through MANY trials and tribulations what works for me. I'll preface this by explaining why I get so much "practice" at it:

-8700 jumps under small and even smaller parachutes
-2800+ wingsuit jumps with a Sabre2 97 loaded at 1.8
-many thousands of AFF/ etc. jumps under sub-100 crossbraces loaded between 2.1 and 2.5

You are going to have spinners if you jump heavily-loaded canopies.....period. You have to be prepared for them.

For me, the hardest thing to work out was screwing myself over by trying to kick out of the spin during the last stages of the opening sequence. Every time you do that you are simply adding to the dive. If you are spinning up to the left under your canopy (which is diving to the right) and you try to kick out to the right, you are going to induce or exacerbate the dive. Assuming that you have done this and have found yourself on your back spinning faster and faster, you'll never get out of it unless you first harness steer in the opposite direction to get your wing back above your head. That is the MOST important thing you can do to prevent a chop. While it may seem/ feel entirely counterintuitive to you at the moment, that simple act , if implemented right away, will fix you right up. Once the canopy is back over your head, you can then go about the process of working out the line twists. This is PARTICULARLY important when you are flying a wingsuit.

Ultimately, it is pointless to try and start dealing with the twists until your canopy is flying straight and level back over your head.

Chuck

SkymonkeyONE

I've found out through MANY trials and tribulations what works for me. I'll preface this by explaining why I get so much "practice" at it:

-8700 jumps under small and even smaller parachutes
-2800+ wingsuit jumps with a Sabre2 97 loaded at 1.8
-many thousands of AFF/ etc. jumps under sub-100 crossbraces loaded between 2.1 and 2.5

You are going to have spinners if you jump heavily-loaded canopies.....period. You have to be prepared for them.

For me, the hardest thing to work out was screwing myself over by trying to kick out of the spin during the last stages of the opening sequence. Every time you do that you are simply adding to the dive. If you are spinning up to the left under your canopy (which is diving to the right) and you try to kick out to the right, you are going to induce or exacerbate the dive. Assuming that you have done this and have found yourself on your back spinning faster and faster, you'll never get out of it unless you first harness steer in the opposite direction to get your wing back above your head. That is the MOST important thing you can do to prevent a chop. While it may seem/ feel entirely counterintuitive to you at the moment, that simple act , if implemented right away, will fix you right up. Once the canopy is back over your head, you can then go about the process of working out the line twists. This is PARTICULARLY important when you are flying a wingsuit.

Ultimately, it is pointless to try and start dealing with the twists until your canopy is flying straight and level back over your head.

Chuck

100% agree, I always use harness to stop the turn.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

The few times I got serious line twists (with altitude) I got into deep brakes as fast as I could. Even falling backwards the canopy would stop and start flying level. Then with a little toggle input I´d get out the line twist in no time...

Happy landings, Rafael