Kristian_AUS

Canopy characteristics for HP skill building

This is likely to be an age old question here, but I haven't found a good answer explaining it.

I'm looking to downsize this year sometime. I haven't decided on my next canopy type yet and would like to choose something that would give me a good foundation to get into higher performance canopy flight if I decide to go down that road.

What sort of qualities should I be looking for in my next canopy? Something trimmed a little steeper than a Pilot, such as a Sabre 2? Longer recovery arc? I'm looking to stay with a semi-elliptical planform.

I know people typically say to test jump different canopies, but I'd prefer to base my decision on suitability for skill development and learn how to fly it.

Here's some background info -
Total jumps: ~600
Time in sport: 2 yrs
Current canopy: Pilot 168, ~400 jumps @ WL 1.22 -1.26
Next canopy: ? 150, which would put me at WL 1.39 - 1.43
Disciplines: FS, WS

Kristian_AUS

What sort of qualities should I be looking for in my next canopy? Something trimmed a little steeper than a Pilot, such as a Sabre 2? Longer recovery arc? I'm looking to stay with a semi-elliptical planform.

Looks like you already know the answer. Get the Sabre 2.

I don't think you can get anything with longer recovery arc with "non elliptical" designs.

Flied great with 1.4-1.6 wl.

Thanks, the Sabre 2 has been the canopy that most people have recommended that I've spoken too. I was also considering a Lotus 2, from what I've heard it's basically a Sabre 2 with airlocks but with a bit more of a safety margin if you happen to run through some heavy turbulence.