missbrz

setting up a speed course

A friend of mine asked me for some help understanding the diagrams to setting up a curved speed course. I broke it down into all straight lines and made a color coded diagram. I thought I'd share it here in case anybody else might like it. If all of your straight lines as shown here are correct, your arc will be correct. It's shown as having the same entry gate as a straight course & a right hand carve just as an example. But the measurements wouldn't change even if you changed those factors.

blues!

When setting up a curved speed course, I did something very similar. I would take one of the long tape measures I had for the distance course and use a tent stake to place the pivot. I would then walk the arc with the known distances I needed for the inside and outside gates, marking the spot with ground spray paint. Then drill the hole in the ground for the dowel and set the blade or noodle after marking all the locations.

Doing it in this manner takes setup time and cuts it by a third. That pivot location is a great place to set a camera for timing and coaching debrief.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Just be aware, you should factor in the bollard diameter when measuring....Your 48.48m(inner bollard) & 58.48m(outer bollard) distances change (by half of the bollard diameter) so that you have a 10m wide course.(measured from the inside of the bollards)
Likewise on accuracy & distance bollards...

<<<<<<->>>>>>