DcloudZ

Recovery Arc Length

Landing downwind can give the visual appearance (sight picture) of making the recovery look shorter due to the distance covered over the ground, but it does not affect the way the canopy recovers.

Temperature, humidity and altitude are the atmospheric factors that affect the recovery arc of a wing.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

DcloudZ

Would landing downwind as opposed to into the wind affect the length of a canopy's recovery arc?

Sure the length of the recovery arc is longer, but the altitude used for recovery is the very same. How your can would know about your ground speed?

cube

No. You need to take a bit of time to understand the concept of air speed vs ground speed. You'll for sure cover more distance over ground during recovery, but the altitude loss will be the same.

In retrospect it was a silly question; I should have been able to figure it out by myself! Thanks though:)
"Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way." -Alan Watts

DcloudZ

***No. You need to take a bit of time to understand the concept of air speed vs ground speed. You'll for sure cover more distance over ground during recovery, but the altitude loss will be the same.

In retrospect it was a silly question; I should have been able to figure it out by myself! Thanks though:)
Well. If you'r not sure about something, no harm in asking. :) Only dumb people skip asking because they think they'll seem dumb. ;)

The search function is a valuable tool though, try it. :)

DcloudZ

***No. You need to take a bit of time to understand the concept of air speed vs ground speed. You'll for sure cover more distance over ground during recovery, but the altitude loss will be the same.

Silly questions are important. That's how we learn. I still have silly questions, although sometimes I get silly answers.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

AggieDave

Silly questions are important. That's how we learn. I still have silly questions, although sometimes I get silly answers.

Silly answers on dizzy.com?

Never

Bwahahahahahaha

Who the fuck am I kidding?
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

The recovery arc of a canopy is only equal upwind/downwind if in a stable airmass. If there is considerable wind gradient, that is a change in relative velocity with altitude, then upwind and downwind behavior can vary significantly. A hook starting at 750 feet could easily go through a 20 mph gradient without time to stabilize in the "new" airmass.
Sometimes you eat the bear..............